Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Salt Lamps - Anybody used these?

Re: Salt Lamps - Anybody used these?

I have one next to my bed, that I turn on every night for around half an hour, to an hour. I cannot vouch for any other benefits except that it really is soothing. I have been been meaning to put one in every room.

Orange light (like the sunset) encourages our brains to produce Melatonin (a hormone vital to sleep); something which salt lamps provide, and normal lights do not. That is, unless you have one of those super old bulbs! Make sure you also alter the white light content of your phone/computer, as this can also help if you are staring at it late at night. There are many good apps for this too, although my iPhone has an in-built setting for it
    “Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding... And could you keep your heart in wonder at the daily miracles of your life, your pain would not seem less wondrous than your joy”

— Kahlil Gibran —

I thought of getting one.

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLiuna View Post
    I have one next to my bed, that I turn on every night for around half an hour, to an hour. I cannot vouch for any other benefits except that it really is soothing. I have been been meaning to put one in every room.

Orange light (like the sunset) encourages our brains to produce Melatonin (a hormone vital to sleep); something which salt lamps provide, and normal lights do not. That is, unless you have one of those super old bulbs! Make sure you also alter the white light content of your phone/computer, as this can also help if you are staring at it late at night. There are many good apps for this too, although my iPhone has an in-built setting for it
    That's good to know, Luna. I remember you when you were here before and you knew about stuff like this.

I was reading an article ages ago about screen light and it was something about how blue light stimulates a chemical in the brain. I can't remember which it was but it wasn't Serotonin, so it was something probably outside of the sleep wake cycle? There were even glasses you could buy to filter it out. They were yellow. A bit pricey though.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    That's good to know, Luna. I remember you when you were here before and you knew about stuff like this.

I was reading an article ages ago about screen light and it was something about how blue light stimulates a chemical in the brain. I can't remember which it was but it wasn't Serotonin, so it was something probably outside of the sleep wake cycle? There were even glasses you could buy to filter it out. They were yellow. A bit pricey though.
    Yes, I remember you too Terry! I hope you are doing well

White/Blue light as far as I know, simply caused the greatest reduction in Melatonin production in the research I have come across. Which is fairly easily understood; we do not need it during the day as much, which is also when this type of light is most common. White light will probably increase the production of other chemicals in the brain though, and I'm not sure if it relates to dopamine or cortisol. I'm no expert, this is just separate reading to my degree

Yes, they are common in jobs that require a lot of time spent in front of artificial lighting. Such as professional gaming, or video editing.

Merry Christmas!

They are fantastic I have 4 of them for whatever reason they are very calming

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information