Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fear of appendicitis is literally ruining my life.

Re: Fear of appendicitis is literally ruining my life.

Just been looking through your old threads it seems that this really is a big phobia for you, as with a fear of anything must people will tell you "it wasn't actually that bad" I know you have a fear of operations as well(so do i if i'm honest) but trust me when i say that if you were waiting for a operation to get rid of it you'd be scared of course you would we all are even those who don't have anxiety, but there will be a part of you that will be thankful as it will make the pain end, surgery for appendicitis is usually keyhole, small simple and home the same or worst case next day x. i'm a huge phobic over this, you even have Fishman who can vouch for that
    one day as i awoken to find my stabby pain hadn't killed me i heard literal screams from the living room. they got worse and wouldn't end, i came down the stairs to find my brother in law curled up on the couch sobbing like a 5 year old and begging my confused dear of a sister to grab the kitchen knife and just stab him because that would hurt less and take his mind off the pain. at that moment i knew i fu*ked up because there was me afraid i wouldn't notice it in time and end up with a ruptured one while this poor man was looking forward to surgery because he could be and i quote "all doped up" do i still get scared? sure i do, but as with any anxiety fear resilience is key and when you prove it wrong enough it will give up x

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn."

"Be gentle with yourself, you're doing the best you can"

Quote Originally Posted by Lockey1995 View Post
    Apparently it has an 8.6 percent life time risk but I get worried as I feel it is going to happen I mean one of these aches it bound to be it at some point :(
    Well, I do have a friend in his late 40s who recently had his out (it went fine. He was back to work in a few days).
    But most generally I believe appendicitis strikes children and teens.
    Look for stats on the rate of ADULT appendectomies. i could be wrong, but I'll bet it's pretty low, lower than 8% anyway.

Edit:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20935419

"The age distribution has a similar pattern in both sexes and 87% are 40 years or less, although the incidence is marginally higher in males."

I guess it's only people over 40 who no longer have to worry about it (that would be me, yay! ) Apparently appendectomies are not uncommon in young adults (twenties) as well as children.

If there is one thing I hate its writing a 10 minute reply, and getting a 10 second reply that does not comment in anyway on what was written.

Time for another break from here I think.

I'm sad to see this happening in many threads SLA. Some people just plough on regardless...as if the replies aren't really there

ISB

Yeah i've seen the same SLA x

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn."

"Be gentle with yourself, you're doing the best you can"

Yeh, it is quite amusing if you see the funny side. Not so amusing if you don't. Thats how these things work.

Anyway. Nearly the weekend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information