Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who has actually been helped by medication?

Who has actually been helped by medication?

So, my thread is clear: who has actually been helped by medication, and in what way?

My psychiatrist prescribed me escitalopram, but I'm too scared to take it, although I really hit rock bottom today, with lots of thoughts about suicide.
    Do they help reduce these thoughts? Do you feel less anxious?

Re: Who has actually been helped by medication?

Quote Originally Posted by mismashful2 View Post
    Do they help reduce these thoughts? Do you feel less anxious?
    Antidepressants have been keeping me almost completely free of inappropriate anxiety for almost 3 decades. They enabled me to continue working for another 12 years until I chose to retire. Without them I could literally not walk out my front door to get the mail because of severe agoraphobia, with them I travelled the world.

Antidepressants work by stimulating the growth of new brain cells (neurogenesis) to replace cells killed, or prevented from growing by high brain stress hormone levels. The therapeutic response is produced by these new cells, not the meds directly. BTW-the cognitive/behavioural therapies seem to also work by the neurogenesis mechanism and it should be considered in addition to meds if they are an affordable option.

Escitalopram is one of the two SSRIs most seem to tolerate the best (its parent compound citalopram is the other), but should still be started on a low dose - no more than 5mg for the first week - to limit the severity of any initial side-effects. If your doctor has prescribed a higher starting dose ask if it can be lowered, but it is important that you get that okay first as there may be valid reasons why you should begin on a higher dose.

Panic down under, you seem to have a lot of "insight". Thanks for that thoughtful response. Glad to see you here. (?)

Escitalopram has done wonders for me and pretty much keeps me physically symptom free. It also helps me not dwell on negative thoughts.

Hey Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Nurseanxiety View Post
    Panic down under, you seem to have a lot of "insight".
    I eat a lot of carrots

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Hey Ian
    Thank you. There seem to be a lot of us refugees here.

I started taking Sertraline when I was 20, I am now 41 and it has pooped out (stopped working) on me this year. The last 20 years I have been pretty much anxiety free. Of course I have normal stresses of life, but that is different from the debilitating anxiety. In July last year the anxiety came back full force, in November I was hospitalised for a month. I tried many different medications and nothing would budge the anxiety. It was only late December and this month that I have been taking Nortriptyline (which is an older tricyclic anti depressant). I am finally starting to feel like my old self. I still suffer from some agoraphobia, which I am in therapy for. Medication does work, but it doesn't solve everything, you still have to put in some of the hard work yourself and work on your thinking and behaviours and learn to change them so you are able to cope better.

Without antidepressants I would not be where I am today, for 6 years of high school I was almost a complete mute due to severe social anxiety disorder. Because this got so extreme I developed panic disorder and agoraphobia. I only left the house to go to school. My doctor then reluctantly prescribed Paroxetine with pregabalin which changed my life. I became incredibly social and so happy and outgoing I had zero fear to leave the house, I then finished my A levels at college and I am now studying for my Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery Degree and Plan on becoming either a Neurologist or Neuropsychiatrist

Escitalopram changed my life ... seriously. The only reason I am not on them now is to try to have a baby. Otherwise I still would be. I actually felt "normal" and like myself again.

And how gast did it work for you guys? Don't want to wait another 6 weeks :(

I started to feel better in 2 weeks. Difficulty with sleep stuck with me for about a month or so. I think once I got up to 20 mg for a few weeks I was good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information