Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: spo2 levels

spo2 levels

The last 2 times I was at docs and when I was at the hospital 2 weeks ago I had a reading of 99% which is fine

sometimes when I use my Samsung galaxy app this can be as low as 89 but then it goes right back up

I take it I should not assume the Samsung pulse oximeter is accurate ?

Re: spo2 levels

I think you answered your own question when you said you had 99% at the hospital with their purpose-made, professional equipment and then mentioned a worry about 89% on a Samsung Galaxy phone app...

i know but I guess they could fluctuate ?

OK firstly doing what you are doing fuels anxiety - FACT as I do the same! My SPo2 was taken twice last week at the GP's surgery and it was 98/99 - then I get home and during the weekend it fluctuates 97/96/98/99 - I think it depends on the anxiety, the altitude and various other factors!

My advise (should take my own) - use a proper Pulse oximetry if you REALLY REALLY need to......but my anxiety gets worse when the oxygen gets below 98.........

Quote Originally Posted by insideout20 View Post
    i know but I guess they could fluctuate ?
    You cannot base your worry on a phone app that is nothing more than a gimmick and 'detects' spo2 in a totally different (non-accurate) way compared to professional dedicated equipment. Research how it is measured. It is measured by the amount of light that is received by the sensor on the other end of the light source (i.e. passed through your finger). First evidence is there, you're measuring through a cheap finger scanner that is acting as the emitter and a receiver.

I measured my blood pressure once on a really cheap home BP machine and it said my BP was 95/190 which I'm pretty sure I would be dead if it was the case. My BP isn't perfect at 80/132 but that figure was professionally measured at my doctors.

My advice is to just stop measuring it entirely on your phone. If you have worries, pick up a highly-rated home kit to test but I feel that you don't need to do this.
    Last edited by Ben1989; 20-02-17 at 12:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben1989 View Post
    You cannot base your worry on a phone app that is nothing more than a gimmick and 'detects' spo2 in a totally different (non-accurate) way compared to professional dedicated equipment. Research how it is measured. It is measured by the amount of light that is received by the sensor on the other end of the light source (i.e. passed through your finger). First evidence is there, you're measuring through a cheap finger scanner that is acting as the emitter and a receiver.

I measured my blood pressure once on a really cheap home BP machine and it said my BP was 95/190 which I'm pretty sure I would be dead if it was the case. My BP isn't perfect at 80/132 but that figure was professionally measured at my doctors.

My advice is to just stop measuring it entirely on your phone. If you have worries, pick up a highly-rated home kit to test but I feel that you don't need to do this.
    yea i guess you are right, when at the hospital my bp was exactly 120/80 lol but I know I should not freak out but I was on a very crowded train today and couldn't breath and felt like I was having a panic attack and I tested this and it was 89%
    Last edited by insideout20; 20-02-17 at 12:32.

Quote Originally Posted by insideout20 View Post
    yea i guess you are right, when at the hospital my bp was exactly 120/80 lol but I know I should not freak out but I was on a very crowded train today and couldn't breath and felt like I was having a panic attack and I tested this and it was 89%
    Sorry to hear about your attack, they're the worst.

Loss of breath is a classic condition of an attack. I'm sure you don't have a respiratory issue.

Try testing it when you're fine. If it reads low, then you know it's garbage

its ok ben I tested the app at lunchtime and it said 89% again but that my heartrate was 160 bpm and it was nothing like that so I don't trust it lol

I had a weird rush sensation through my earlier that lasted about 2 seconds, so strange never really know what they are, I guess anxiety though

I advise you to delete the app.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I've learned that things such as nail polish, cold fingers, warm fingers, sweaty fingers, etc.. can affect the reading!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information