Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying to think rationally but struggling

Trying to think rationally but struggling

I know I shouldn't be posting this as I'm really trying to overcome this current episode of HA.

My current fear is bowel cancer, this fear has been coming up a few times over the last 12 years. This episode has been ongoing for 6 months now. I have had ins for about 27 years now and it's normally manageable. I know it's linked to certain food and stress. I'm also premenopausal which can cause increased anxiety and ins symptoms.

My stools have been loose on and off over the last few months, I have had normal stools I between aswell. I've had diarrhoea about 12 times over this time too. Usually just once or twice and then it's fine. I panic everytime it happens. I start to think I'm feeling better then my stomach will play up and I'm back to square one again.

My rational mind tells me that if it was something sinister then it would stay like that all the time and not go back to normal but of course my irrational mind doesn't agree.

So tired of this, I really am trying to beat this but it's so hard. I'm barely eating as I'm scared of upsetting my stomach. I'm hungry but can't make my set eat, not sure if the lack of food is making things worse.

Sorry this is so long, had to write it all down.

---------- Post added at 10:54 ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 ----------

Ibs*

---------- Post added at 11:51 ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 ----------

Any tips on how to remain calm? I have my art therapy appointment at 1 and feel like cancelling as I feel very shaky and scared at the thought of going out.

Re: Trying to think rationally but struggling

My advice? Look at your join date. In all these years, has anything you've worried about turned into anything?

Don't avoid your art therapy class unless you want to feed your anxiety further.

You have IBS. At worst, you have a stomach upset of some kind. You could go to a doctor about these symptoms because they can be treated, but they aren't anything to worry about.

IBS notoriously flares up at times of high stress, and also when there's a change in diet.

It would only be logical to assume, surely, that this is what's causing these issues, rather than some horrific illness.

Quote Originally Posted by ServerError View Post
    My advice? Look at your join date. In all these years, has anything you've worried about turned into anything?

Don't avoid your art therapy class unless you want to feed your anxiety further.

You have IBS. At worst, you have a stomach upset of some kind. You could go to a doctor about these symptoms because they can be treated, but they aren't anything to worry about.
    Thanks for your reply,
    I just need to keep rationalizing these thoughts but when the fear hits me it's a huge task. I look back at my old posts and this has happened before, you would think that would be enough to calm my mind. Going to go to art therapy but extremely nervous about leaving the house.

---------- Post added at 12:17 ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    IBS notoriously flares up at times of high stress, and also when there's a change in diet.

It would only be logical to assume, surely, that this is what's causing these issues, rather than some horrific illness.
    My rational mind know that the anxiety is probably causing my ibs to flare up but of course the anxiety is trying to tell me different.

Leaving the house is not the problem here. The problem is your anxious state, which is manifesting as a fear of leaving the house. The only solution is to accept that fear, and do it anyway. You can do it, I assure you.

I hope you're receiving some help (aside from art therapy) for your anxiety. You've obviously suffered for a long time, but you don't have to continue to do so indefinitely.

Leaving the house is not the problem here. The problem is your anxious state, which is manifesting as a fear of leaving the house. The only solution is to accept that fear, and do it anyway. You can do it, I assure you.

I hope you're receiving some help (aside from art therapy) for your anxiety. You've obviously suffered for a long time, but you don't have to continue to do so indefinitely.
    I went to art therapy! I worry when I go out that I'll have an upset stomach and that's why I feel safer at home. I feel exposed when I'm out.

I'm not actually receiving any other therapy. I've had cbt in the past which has helped. The waiting times to see anyone is about 18 months so there's not going to be a quick fix.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
    I went to art therapy! I worry when I go out that I'll have an upset stomach and that's why I feel safer at home. I feel exposed when I'm out.

I'm not actually receiving any other therapy. I've had cbt in the past which has helped. The waiting times to see anyone is about 18 months so there's not going to be a quick fix.
    Yeah, waiting times can be long. It's a massive flaw. But if I were you, I'd get on the list and look for alternative sources of help in the meantime. There's CBT resources online - not necessarily ideal, but better than nothing.

As for your fear of leaving the house, it's classic anxious thought about losing control. In your case, it's currently manifesting as a fear of stomach upsets, but the actual content of the worry doesn't really matter. What matters is that your mind tells you you might lose control if you leave the house, and that staying in is safer. The problem is that, while staying in might alleviate anxiety in the short term, it will be disastrous in the long term because you'll feed your mind the idea that outside equals danger and inside equals safe.

In other words, seek help, check out some online CBT resources, don't allow yourself to retreat from the world.

Yeah, waiting times can be long. It's a massive flaw. But if I were you, I'd get on the list and look for alternative sources of help in the meantime. There's CBT resources online - not necessarily ideal, but better than nothing.

As for your fear of leaving the house, it's classic anxious thought about losing control. In your case, it's currently manifesting as a fear of stomach upsets, but the actual content of the worry doesn't really matter. What matters is that your mind tells you you might lose control if you leave the house, and that staying in is safer. The problem is that, while staying in might alleviate anxiety in the short term, it will be disastrous in the long term because you'll feed your mind the idea that outside equals danger and inside equals safe.

In other words, seek help, check out some online CBT resources, don't allow yourself to retreat from the world.
    I am going to look online for cbt for just now but talking to someone really helps.

I manage to take my son to school and I work part-time but I can't go into town, I get so scared.

Rainbow,

Sadly with you being in Scotland your NHS is long behind us with mental health and the online CBT we can get probably isn't available on the NHS at lower levels for quicker access. You guys are on the old model like we were 10 years ago and waiting times were over a year in my area (still are but that's for the equivalent service to yours, we can use IAPT now which is quicker).

NHS Scotland need to be doing more!!!

I do know of a free no commitment online CBT course that is supported called Panic Center. It's Canadian but anyone can join and it has a small forum to support the course which the company running It lead so it's not so much just members talking. I've heard it's good and with it being free, it might be worth a look.

There are free online CBT workbooks for various anxiety disorders or elements of them through a couple of sites I know of. Just ask if you want a link.

Well done on going. Your anxiety can try and stop you going out, working, etc but then you have to face the anxiety of starting to get back out. Both in my initial breakdown and my later relapse it caused me to retreat this way. If you can keep getting out, it's better.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
    I am going to look online for cbt for just now but talking to someone really helps.

I manage to take my son to school and I work part-time but I can't go into town, I get so scared.
    You can go into town. I promise you. That fear is a misdirected warning that you don't actually need. Maybe go for a coffee for an hour with a friend.

It's up to you ultimately, but I guarantee you, you can do it.

Oh, and just so you know, I've been where you are. I know how it feels. Please don't think I'm saying it's easy. I know it's not.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information