Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Severely atypical mole

Severely atypical mole

Recently I had a mole removed from near my shoulder. They called to tell me it came back as 'severely atypical' and I needed to have more margins removed. As soon as they said that, I'm pretty sure I broke into a sweat. So I went this morning to have the margins removed. They had the initial report and went over it with me and it said under comments "Early evolving melanoma-in-situ cannot be ruled out". Okay, now I'm TOTALLY freaking out. Yes I realize they just (most likely) removed the issue and that part is basically done, but they removed a couple other moles, so I'll be biting my fingers until those come back, plus I know this increases my overall risk. I have SOOO many moles and freckles. I would be really hard pressed to tell you if a new one popped up. I'm seriously scared right now.

Re: Severely atypical mole

I can completely understand that this is a scary situation. Hopefully the test results will be able to put your mind at rest. As you rightly say, the issue has been resolved, if it does indeed turn out to be nasty.

However, plenty of people have "severely atypical" moles removed that turn out to be nothing. This could well happen to you.

I really hope that the test results come back negative!

If it makes you feel any better, I had a biopsy and needed to be called back in to remove all of the margins and down deep. It was in my hair part and they assured me my hair would grow back.

Long story short - just an extra precaution for a totally benign process and I accept my bald spot now

Thank you, both of you. PA, you must have had some atypia going on then too huh? yeah I will take a bald spot over something more serious, but it does suck that it didn't grow back!

It's certainly understandable to be a bit freaked but I have to say you're attitude is much better than looking at the darkside of things They caught it and it's being dealt with AND, you'll be followed up with on a regular basis.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I am trying, I really am. I am not going to lie and say I didn't cry through the excision because it freaked me out so much, but I'm doing okay for the moment.

And we all really hope you'll be okay in the long run. Which we all know you will be (:

I really hope so because I'm starting to feel like I won't be. :-(

Well waiting for test results is a very nerve racking time.. They take so long sometimes! Fishman is right, it's being dealt with and if anything is off it's been caught/taken care of early.

In the meantime try and get out a little or spend some times with loved ones! I bet they'll help your mind get over it enough to make it to that "it's nothing!" phone call. (:

Quote Originally Posted by nicole97 View Post
    I really hope so because I'm starting to feel like I won't be. :-(
    You're not going to get beyond this until you get the pathology report but...

My niece had the same it was under her breast, it took a bit to heal because of the location but she never had an issue again.

A friend of mine had a melanoma on her forearm, she too is fine.

Another friend was on her husband for several years to get "this ugly black mole" looked at, he brushed her off time and time again. When he finally went, it was too late.

So, bad things do happen but I don't believe they happen when found as early as yours.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information