Thread: New to PD

New to PD

Hi everyone
    I'm new to this thread as my anxieties have usually been health and social related but I've only ever had panic attacks when tired or hungover. Recently, I've cut out the booze but have suddenly been getting panic attacks in public out of nowhere which I'm finding particularly hard to get through as I can't say "oh I'm hungover" so I automatically think "I'm having a heart attack" or "I'm going to collapse around strangers."

I think this has stemmed from in the past 6 months various incidents in public (I fainted on a bus and at work, had a panic attack in a traffic jam on a bus after a very stressful day at work and had to travel home from work on a bus when I had a stomach bug.) Now in public if I feel my heart racing a little more than it should or I get a bit short of breath, it is a very quick spiral into panic, I start to feel faint etc etc.

Does anyone have any tips? I'm aware that it's something I might have to just live with. I've started a course of sertraline to see if that helps. I meditate every day but can't seem to apply any of the techniques when I get panic. I had cbt previously bit it wasn't focused on panic attacks more health anxiety so I'm wondering if anyone has success stories for cbt and panic. Doctors won't give me beta blockers as I have asthma :(

Re: New to PD

Hi Ellie,

Noticed no one had replied so I thought I would

Cutting out alcohol is a good idea - if I have any, I have to stay focused the next day, and remember that any feelings are down to alcohol and poor sleep (alcohol causes that as well). In fact, if I have a bad night's sleep when I haven't drunk alcohol, I often think the feeling the next day is similar to being hungover anyway.

Unfortunately these aren't the only things that can lead to panic attacks as you know. Sometimes I think that cutting something out is a bit like removing a crutch e.g. if I cut out alcohol I start thinking there's no reason to have a PA anymore, which in turn can make me anxious because I'm looking out to see if I do have another PA!! You can't win!!

You have to learn at some point that you aren't having a heart attack, that your body is reacting correctly to the situation you imagine is scary by releasing adernaline, as it's designed to do.

Your sentence about being afraid of collapsing around strangers is an interesting one, and seems to be a common theme e.g. having things happen while other people are around. Do you think you would feel the same if you were the only person in the situation? It's an interesting question, and sometimes I realise that it's not the situation, but the fact there are other people around that brings on the feelings of panic. So I wonder if that's actually a fear of social occasions and not of collapsing?

I wish I had answers to all your questions, but I can only give advice on the things I look at. So maybe you could try meditating (it has to be practiced regularly to become 2nd nature), the same with positive visualisations of situations you fear (again, keep practicing). Learning how to breathe correctly - most people don't. Deeper breaths instead of shallow (something that can happen over a period of time without us noticing) - practice again . Exercise is a good stress reliever - it releases endorphins which enhance the feeling of well being and positivity (I have found that after a run that's it's a good time to think of the thoughts that bought on panic - they seem ridiculous when you have the relaxed feeling after exercise, and it can put them in perspective e.g. they can seem ridiculous or they can scare you - it depends what state your body is in).

Also, learn what can bring on panic, anxiety feelings - you mentioned a couple,: sleep, alcohol. Also, I would add, an illness incubating in the system e.g. flu before the symptoms become noticeable. A bowel movement - the body releases cortisol (a stress hormone) before a bowel movement (many people feel more relaxed afterwards). Some foods can cause the heart to speed up - coffee is often cited, but there are many other ingredients that could do it (keep a food diary, it's a good way to spot something regular that might cause it).

Not sure what you are able to take because of your asthma - I've begun taking Ashwagandha - a herb used in Ayuvedic medicine to reduce stress levels (successful studies have been done ).

Anyway, that's all I can think of for now. I hope you are doing ok.

Thread Information