Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: New puppy and Anxiety???

Re: New puppy and Anxiety???

Quote Originally Posted by Hamnan View Post
    I found the CBT didn't last long enough for me. Plus I feel I have deeper issues and she made it clear we would focus only on the now and not the past.
    Well my parents live abroad so I don't have family close by, my neighbour she has almost become a surrogate mum / grandparent to me and my kids. Good luck with the CBT!!
    Haven't played with Ernie as much today in house and he's fine, he's been taking his chew toys to his bed and chewing away. Hope that doesn't mean he won't be tired for bed tho?? We were at park a good amount of time this morn and he will have another walk around 6:30/7 ?
    That's the trouble think it's only 6 or 8 sessions, but if you have had quite a gap in between perhaps sign up again or find another MH charity that does CBT. Thank you we will see what it does for me

Aww yes that's nice to have a good neighbour so keep this good! Yes Ernie will be fine and tired with another walk tonight lol so don't worry! When you get more time set him challenges too they are good mental work outs! Eg have 3 or 4 cups like drink cups have one treat ok put that under one cup let him see which one then shuffle the cups round and round (with him sitting of course) then say go find it you might be surprised that he finds the cup with the treat straight away So challenges are great I still do some thing similar with my dog get one treat put it in one hand let him see it and put both hands behind your back and maybe or may be not swap the treat to the other hand close your hands bring them out again and say go find it my dogs gets it right very often so good and when she thinks she has find it she lies down I open my hand and she takes the treat!! Cheers

I didn't know I cud ask for more CBT? I went to the docs to get it initially. They almost wudnt give me it tho as I didn't fit all of the criteria (didn't want to kill myself etc ) wow ur dog sounds amazing, wish Ernie would one day be that way.

I didn't know I cud ask for more CBT? I went to the docs to get it initially. They almost wudnt give me it tho as I didn't fit all of the criteria (didn't want to kill myself etc ) wow ur dog sounds amazing, wish Ernie would one day be that way.
    Cant see why not when was the last time you went for CBT? That's terrible sometimes you have to keep pushing to get what you need sadly Not sure if Mind the mental health Charity does CBT but you could ask at you local Mind office Thank you!! Hey don't wish it could happen training is never really ending what you put in to it you can reap rewards time and time again you can achieve great things with Ernie I know you can It still saddens me when owners give up even on the most basic of training like a simple 'sit' ahh I would love to hear you are teaching him new things to learn soon Agility is a good thing to teach dogs check to see if there any classes in your area and its good for you and the dog too, Cheers

Thanks I may have a look see what there is locally in terms of CBT. I do feel I need to do something. Feel crappy again this eve really. Yes I'm happy to put the training in for Ernie but bulldogs are stubborn! So it's hard to keep his attention!
    Keep telling myself it's only week one. It will all get easier, I hope

Thanks I may have a look see what there is locally in terms of CBT. I do feel I need to do something. Feel crappy again this eve really. Yes I'm happy to put the training in for Ernie but bulldogs are stubborn! So it's hard to keep his attention!
    Keep telling myself it's only week one. It will all get easier, I hope
    Hey Good for you Sorry to hear this it will pass. Good to know and he is still very young. I have a stubborn breed too even at 10 she will try to get one over me, doesn't work now BTW have you watched The Secret lives of dogs yet just on catch up saw ep 2 oh must see you will learn a lot and be amazed at the capabilities of dogs even I was amazed truly great animals please watch them Cheers

Jeeeeez testing day.
    Ernie seems to have been naughty so much today. Not sure why today's any different. Soon as I open door to let him in living room he runs in and jumps all over couch (he's not allowed on couch) I take him down and say no and he just does it repeatedly. So tired. Need a break

Jeeeeez testing day.
    Ernie seems to have been naughty so much today. Not sure why today's any different. Soon as I open door to let him in living room he runs in and jumps all over couch (he's not allowed on couch) I take him down and say no and he just does it repeatedly. So tired. Need a break
    Ahh too much energy me thinks has his routine changed in any way? I would actually pick him up and get him off the couch perhaps have a command word like Off or Down and reward him when he obeys as for getting back on the couch time it just right and say NO in a firm voice again praise him when he does as asked it will get easier though! Cheers

I spose it's changed in the sense that kids are back at school so I have been leaving him twice a day but only for very short periods. He didn't have his morn walk today as the weather was absolutely horrendous but I did take him this aft and it was a nice long walk. I did say 'down' and he knows this as he keeps jumping up at chairs and people and I have been repeating down and he does listen (at times!) even when he was out today he was trying to escape into living room constantly or trying to get into my daughters toys constantly. He has never been this was before it's like today he's just decided to be as naughty as he can. He's also obsessed with sniffing under the dining table round and round for hours if I let him? He just won't stay still? Constantly telling him 'out' from under table. And yep iv sweeped it all so there's no scraps anywhere. I'm just exhausted and he's testing every ounce of my patience . On top of that my daughter has a persistent cough and runny nose and the nurse told me today it's an animal allergy! Grrrrrrrrr

I spose it's changed in the sense that kids are back at school so I have been leaving him twice a day but only for very short periods. He didn't have his morn walk today as the weather was absolutely horrendous but I did take him this aft and it was a nice long walk. I did say 'down' and he knows this as he keeps jumping up at chairs and people and I have been repeating down and he does listen (at times!) even when he was out today he was trying to escape into living room constantly or trying to get into my daughters toys constantly. He has never been this was before it's like today he's just decided to be as naughty as he can. He's also obsessed with sniffing under the dining table round and round for hours if I let him? He just won't stay still? Constantly telling him 'out' from under table. And yep iv sweeped it all so there's no scraps anywhere. I'm just exhausted and he's testing every ounce of my patience . On top of that my daughter has a persistent cough and runny nose and the nurse told me today it's an animal allergy! Grrrrrrrrr
    That will be the contribuiting factors then if possible could your hubby take him out in the morning? Oh need to give you the heads up for a massive storm to hit the uk tomorrow Storm Doris is on her way bringing snow to Scotland and 40- 50 mph winds. For the rest of us heavy rain and 60-80 mph winds so a bad day He is still very young I don't normal say this but crate him if he continues like this not as a punishiment as a crate should be a safe haven for him do just treat it as a rest for you and get him to go in his crate and reward him when he does As for your daughter having this allergy you could try Benadryl or seek advice from your dr Remember try and get a routine established again for Ernie
    Cheers

Well the thing is other half used to take Ernie out before he goes work but Ernie hated it and refused to walk. So I started taking him out when I get back from school run for a big walk and that's been fine, then took him on school run in aft so that's 5ish mins each way. Then he has another long walk in eve . So I think that's enough? Unfortunately today the weather was just awful so we missed the morn walk but still had long afternoon one. Yes I have had to put him in his crate with his chew toy this aft just so I could catch up on housework and let my daughter eat her lunch in peace. It seems his personality has changed overnight?! So weird. Oh meant to tell u, puppy club went great! There was a lab there! And two big alsations and a westie. The lady assessed Ernie and we done lots of obedience work and she summarised at the end with me and said Ernie isn't aggressive and he has no issues with dogs, he only growls and barks back and lunges when the other dog barks at him first so he's doing it in defence. Managed to get to the point where the last held his lead and I was over other side of room and she let go and I called Ernie and he ran straight to me ignoring the other dogs! Very good!

---------- Post added at 19:43 ---------- Previous post was at 19:38 ----------

Oh and hi sorry current routine in day is :
    6 am I wake and let him out for wee
    6:30 breakfast for him and out again for toilet
    Then he's with us till 8:30 when he goes out again and then into crate.
    8:40 we leave
    9:10 I'm back so we go for a walk usually 30mins or so
    When we get home he potters around in house with me till 11:15 and then he naps with me till 11:50 (I don't nap lol!)
    11:50 out for wee and into crate and I go get my little girl
    12:15 I'm home
    Then usually in the afternoon up until 3pm he's just out causing trouble?
    I usually put him in crate 3pm while I go get kids for 20mins
    Then he's out with us till 5 when he goes in crate for 30mins while we eat our dinner
    6pm Ernies dinner and out for toilet
    6:30 walk for 30mins or so
    7-8 he potters around while I sort kids for bed
    Then usually 8- bedtime he naps on floor in living room then out once more before in crate for bed.
    Sorry , lots of info. As u can see I just struggle 12-3 amusing him?

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread Information