Thread: Feel like a bad person/bad friend

Feel like a bad person/bad friend

I feel like the worst person in the world. One of my best friends told me last night that she is pregnant. She's about 5 weeks. She's been married since October. Of course I'm happy for her but a small part of me feels sad as it's an inevitable change and end of an era for us. I live in another town about 4 hours drive away now so when I do come back and visit we make time to see each other and she would come up and stay with me. However I know that's going to change now and I won't be able to have a 'hands on' approach with her baby, which is also a shame.
    I'm also pretty convinced that I will have trouble conceiving when I eventually do start trying with my partner in the future as I have a lot of hormone issues and irregular periods. Therefore I feel an element of jealousy. It's horrible. I feel like a bad person.

- Emily Brontė

"No matter how irrational I may sound, it's real to me"

Re: Feel like a bad person/bad friend

Having a baby does change the friendship so I think it's only natural you'd feel this way. I had my daughter when I was a teenager and I couldn't hang out with friends as often as I used to or go out drinking so I lost a few of my close friends.

A close friend of mine got married last year and whilst I was happy for them a small part of me was jealous as I've had relationship issues pretty much for the whole 11 years my (now ex) and I were together. I know of a few couples who had been together a lot less than my ex and I and they were married. Always makes me feel that I wasn't good enough to marry.

You are not a bad person, it's natural to feel jealousy or worry that your friend won't be there as often.

Could you possible tell her your worried in regards to the friendship changing? Maybe she can put your mind at ease.

Thread Information