Thread: Yellow stool

Yellow stool

Did any of you went through this? Ever since my GI problems started, my stool color has ranged from yellow, greenish brown and yellowish brown. All the tests i've done suggest no problems related to gallbladder, liver or pancreas (blood work, 2 ultrasounds and a CT). I suffer from reflux and i've read it can sometimes caused it, but it's been like this even when i felt the reflux was gone. Docs aren't worried and think it's a functional problem and it will eventually fix itself out but it's pretty worrying.

Re: Yellow stool

Yellow/orange is generally cause by rapid transit
    Green is generally caused by eating/drinking something with either blue or purple dye in it

All the colors you mention can be variants of normal, healthy stools- often, it signifies either transit time or foods eaten.
    White or clay-colored stools would be a good reason to seek medical help... but even then, I'd wait and see if the color resolved to normal after a few days.
    I once took my son to the doctor because he had a terrifying "white" stool.... it turned out to be from the yogurt-covered pretzels he'd eaten the previous day. Apparently that fake yogurt coating pretty much comes out looking just like it did going in, and causes many people to have white stools and freak out.

The doctor told me at that time: brown, green, orange, yellow are all variations of normal.

Keep an eye on the next few stools, and see if the color resolved to something that is more normal for you.
    I'll bet it will.

Best wishes.

Thanks for your answers. Thing is before i started having problems around 3 months ago, my stool always had a normal brown color, with very little changes unless they were related to something I ate. I've seen 3 doctors, none of which seemed particularly concerned, but those digestive issues should have been gone by now :(. I also have a lot of gas so my body is obviously not digesting food properly, which one doc also mentioned, I'm just not sure why. If it's bowel related, a stool test revealed no bacteria or parasites. I've been thinking about Celiac, but I've had a biopsy taken during an endoscopy, so I guess they should have tested it for that as well. I hope it's just a temporary backlash after years of smoking, drinking and a rather chaotic and unhealthy diet and it will eventually heal. And you know how health anxiety works .

---------- Post added at 15:37 ---------- Previous post was at 15:34 ----------

I've read reflux can cause rapid transit, I'm just not sure if it was always present.

I've been having this also. I've also been having extreme anxiety. I think they go hand in hand.

Yeah, possibly, I think I've read something about it as well. Also, anxiety can't be good for digestion either. It's been better lately, though. Still get a yellow-ish hue and yellow mucus , but it's been more on a normal-ish side lately. Hope it will eventually fully go back to normal.

---------- Post added at 10:04 ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 ----------

Sorry for the rather graphic descriptions

Ok, it's back. Great.

Hi! I had been searching everywhere for answers regarding why I have been experiencing yellow stools and came across this board. I have been experiencing this for about 4 years now maybe even longer...I have seen several drs who just brush me off. Im sorry your going through same issue with no answers either...do you have any other symptoms as well?

I also get yellowy / orange stool. I have silent reflux (causes shortness of breath and raspy voice, and sternum pain but almost never 'burning'). I'm also a Coeliac but my diet is controlled. Just been put on omeprazole so I will keep tabs to see if there is a correlation!

Every time I freak out and have health anxiety attack, my stool turn into yellow for a few days. As soon I stop worrying and relax my stool become of normal color again. So if you're stressed, worry a lot, have panic attacks... That could be the reason.

Thread Information