Thread: Heart beating in a irregular pattern just when the sleep wave hits

Heart beating in a irregular pattern just when the sleep wave hits

Nobody can seem to shed any light on this.
    For a couple of weeks I often experience the following:

I'm lying down in bed. No problems yet. Heart is beating regulary and correctly. Then when I'm almost falling asleep, like sleep is 5 seconds away, all of a sudden my heart starts to beat very irregulary. I feel it more in my belly / stomach area, but I also measure my heart rate in my neck artery and I feel it beating very irregulary. The moment I bring myself back to the real world, cough or sit-up it stops and my heart will beat correctly again.

This also happens in the morning when I wake up and I'm trying to go for another round of sleep.

During the day I have no problems. That's not because I don't 'notice' it during the day (believe me, I notice everything and measure all the time), but because it's not happening.

So as you can imagine, sleep has become problematic and scary these days. Some days I can fall asleep without noticing it, but most days it happens at least a couple of times before I'm able to sleep.

Now, my questions are:
    - Why might this be happening? What kind of arrhythmia is that? And why does it only happen when the sleep wave hits me and not at any other moment?
    - Is it possible that this arrhythmia continues all night during sleep as well? That would be bad right?

My GP is not impressed by my story and thinks it's just anxiety. To be sure, I'll be put on a 7-day event monitor next week. Until I get the results I have no answers and it freaks me out.

If anyone has any idea or had anything similar and can shed some light on this, that would be greatly appreciated.

Take care everyone.

Re: Heart beating in a irregular pattern just when the sleep wave hits

I have this exact same issue, with the addition of having them during the day too. I know it seems impossible but I guarantee when all of your tests come back you'll find that it really is just anxiety. I and so many people have been through this and I'm sure you won't be the anomaly. These things are just something we have to learn to love with. That to me if the hard part though and I'm still trying to figure out how to do it.

Thread Information