Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does this sound like withdrawal?

Does this sound like withdrawal?

I have been weaning myself down off 20 mg lexapro since August. My doctor said to cut it to 10 for two weeks and then stop. I decided to go much slower. I did a month at 15, 10, and 5. I couldn't cut my pills any smaller so I did 5 mg every other day for two weeks until I ran out last week, so I just stopped. I was doing ok other than notable anxiety and irritability when I got down to 10 mg.

So I took my last dose last Sunday and starting Wednesday I was feeling like crap! I thought I was getting sick because people at work were sick. My dose was so low before I stopped I didn't think it could be withdrawal. But since wed I have been exhausted, jittery, very dizzy at times, and nauseous. I've had some hot flashes too.

I kept thinking I was sick, but it hasn't progressed like a cold usually does. No congestion, fever, or sore throat. Not really getting worse or better. Does it sound like withdrawal? Has anybody had withdrawal from such a low dose after a long taper? I didn't experience this last time I came off.

---------- Post added at 18:20 ---------- Previous post was at 15:59 ----------

bump if anybody has any thoughts

Re: Does this sound like withdrawal?

Hi swirl, It certainly does sound like withdrawl symptoms to me, you describe how I felt coming off tranquilisers some years ago. Lexapro, also known as ciprilex here can be given for anxiety as well as depression so my guess is that as an anti anxiety drug, it would calm your body down, and not taking it will make every part of your body that was made calm start to 'feel' again. Muscles everywhere including eye muscles, joints, nervous system will rachet up to cause trembling, blurred vision etc, tense stomach muscles causing nausea and sometimes diarrhoea. Depending on how long you'd been taking them dictates recovery from withdrawl. But you did everything right in your weaning, it unfortunately doesn't mean you will be withdrawl -free straight away. Your body needs time to adjust to not having that cushion. It's unpleasant and scary, but you will get through it and those symptoms will ease off in time. I can remember my body shook so much that I couldn't talk because my teeth were chattering so much!

ISB x

Hi, ISB, thanks for your reply. It's frustrating that you can do everything right and still feel this way! But that does reassure me a bit that this must be what I'm experiencing. I thought I might have lyme disease for a minute!! The irritability is really bad, I've been quite short with my husband tonight and I feel badly about it. It's hard trying to keep it all in all day at work, then I get home and small things that I normally ignore get at me. I just want to be alone ... But hopefully it won't last too long.

Thank you

No worries. You could maybe visit your local health food outlet or drug store, as they should stock a variety of natural remedies such as Bach flower Rescue Remedy, or herbal tranquilisers such as Valerian which I took myself and really helped me to relax. Not sure if they have the same names in the States sorry.

ISB x

Yeah I have used valerian in the past for sleep and found it helpful. I've seen the rescue remedy in stores but never tried it. Might be worth it to get over this hump. The fatigue is really bad. I just fell asleep on the couch at 7:30 pm! Just got into my bed hoping sleep will help me have some energy tomorrow ... my HA revving up telling me this is something more serious but I'm almost positive it's just withdrawal...

Slept a lot last night but also woke up constantly because of my neck strain. I have a water Vader pillow the chiropractor recommended and it's quite good but the damage was already done sleeping at my inlaws.

Feeling quite rough today. It's my moms birthday and the fifth one since she died. It's hitting me much harder than the other years prob bc of this withdrawal. Just got into work and have been tearful all morning.

I'm sorry it's such a rough day :(. Any way you can treat yourself or pamper yourself to help you feel better?
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Thanks Poppy, hopefully after work I can. Got a full day ahead of me.

Hopefully keeping busy will help you keep your mind off of things.

I've gone a few days where I've forgotten to take my meds and I'll get the little withdrawl symptoms - they aren't fun. I can sympathize.

It will pass eventually, you may just have to hold on in the meantime.

Get through work and then snuggle down with some Netflix or whatever helps you feel a bit better....or at least distracts you somewhat from the awfulness.

xx
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Thanks, Netflix sounds great right now. Just 3 more hours to go. I've got to walk the dog when I get home and then will do a bit of yoga and that's it. It's pouring rain so hopefully the dog doesn't want to walk for very long!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information