Thread: What is likely ibs makes me terrified it's the big C?.

What is likely ibs makes me terrified it's the big C?.

Hi all,
    I'm a 20 year old female and I've had some bowel issues for the past three years or so. It seemed to start after I had been ill with some stomach problems. Then I would go more frequently, often in smaller amounts, feeling of incomplete movement, occasional looser stools/ diarrhoea (but this is usually triggered by something like spicy food or a lot of caffeine drinks) and I've had some mucus. But I've barely experienced pain though, only some discomfort after caffeine and I did have a painful episode the other day after I had chilli. But on a daily basis, I usually have more than one movement, often little amount, feeling of incomplete movements which seem to be 'finished' later and often pass mucus. Sometimes this just happens when I sit on the toilet and pass gas (sorry for tmi) and I will pass a little bit (not tons) and on some occasions I have a very small piece of stool with it.

I'm confused by my symptoms and I suppose I became so used to them that I kept forgetting about visiting the doctor, although I have a terrible fear and anxiety with doctors and hospitals etc. I'm currently trying to make a diary in preparation for an appointment to see if I have any triggers or there seemed to be any patterns and such. I know it's likely to be something like ibs but I can't help but keep telling myself it's much worse. I guess I recently saw in the news someone my age died of bowel cancer and it's freaked me out more than I had been before.
    Any thoughts? Would love to know what your symtoms are and some reassurance. Thanks

Re: What is likely ibs makes me terrified it's the big C?.

All those symptoms point to IBS.
    The reason someone your age with bowel cancer made the news is that it is newsworthy. Because it is a one in a million (or more) occurrence.
    You don't see newspaper articles about 60 year olds being diagnosed with bowel cancer. That is because it is not newsworthy. It is a common occurrence.

When people your age get bowel cancer, it is generally connected to a familial hereditary cancer syndrome, such as Lynch Syndrome.
    If this ran in your family, you would know, because many young people in your family would have rare (for their age) cancers such as ovarian and bowel.
    There would be a long history of this. You would know.

You have IBS.

Best wishes.

You might also have gallstones or gallbladder problems - your symptoms sound a lot like what I had a few years ago, and the two things are often confused with one another (GB and IBS, I mean). Definitely see your GP, but in the meantime cutting down on the fatty and spicy foods plus boosting fruit and veg should help a lot. If it is your GB, they may recommend surgery to remove it (that's what they did for me), but usually if it's unsymptomatic (i.e. you haven't had any GB attacks, and trust me, you would KNOW if you had) you have the option to wait and see, and try to improve it with diet etc.

Either way, there are other potential diagnoses out there, so don't start thinking the worst just yet

Quote Originally Posted by GlassPinata View Post
    All those symptoms point to IBS.
    The reason someone your age with bowel cancer made the news is that it is newsworthy. Because it is a one in a million (or more) occurrence.
    You don't see newspaper articles about 60 year olds being diagnosed with bowel cancer. That is because it is not newsworthy. It is a common occurrence.

When people your age get bowel cancer, it is generally connected to a familial hereditary cancer syndrome, such as Lynch Syndrome.
    If this ran in your family, you would know, because many young people in your family would have rare (for their age) cancers such as ovarian and bowel.
    There would be a long history of this. You would know.

You have IBS.

Best wishes.
    Thank you for your reply, it was very reassuring. I should probably realise the chances of getting a serious disease like that when I was 17 are crazy. Thanks for your help

---------- Post added at 00:11 ---------- Previous post was at 00:09 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by breathefree View Post
    You might also have gallstones or gallbladder problems - your symptoms sound a lot like what I had a few years ago, and the two things are often confused with one another (GB and IBS, I mean). Definitely see your GP, but in the meantime cutting down on the fatty and spicy foods plus boosting fruit and veg should help a lot. If it is your GB, they may recommend surgery to remove it (that's what they did for me), but usually if it's unsymptomatic (i.e. you haven't had any GB attacks, and trust me, you would KNOW if you had) you have the option to wait and see, and try to improve it with diet etc.

Either way, there are other potential diagnoses out there, so don't start thinking the worst just yet
    Thank you - I will keep this in mind. I've looked this up and it doesn't sound exactly like my symptoms but like I said I will keep this in mind when I talk to my doctor. Thanks again

Thread Information