Thread: Panic attacks over my cat being ill

Panic attacks over my cat being ill

My cat is lame since Monday. I've had her at the vets and she's on anti-inflammatories which have improved her limp. And yet, I can't stop panicking. I wake at 3.30/4am and go straight into a panic attack, trembling, shivering, sweating, dry retching. I tried abdominal breathing but it didn't really work, I even tried jogging on the spot (to try to burn off the adrenaline) but I've just got this awful tense knot in my stomach that I can't let go of.

I know the cat's injury isn't even that serious but everytime I see her limp, my heart and stomach just plummet to the floor. I have to give her a pill once a day and I get all worked up about that too, even though she's had 3 already and I've managed to get her to swallow them ok.

My OH asked if I was ok and I said I was cos I know he'd just tell me to stop over-reacting. I said I had a tummy bug and that's why I was sighing a lot (I was actually doing deep breathing exercises)

Nobody that's not had panic attacks knows how terrible they are. I know they will pass and I know I will come out the other side, it's the getting through each day in the meantime that's the killer.

Re: Panic attacks over my cat being ill

I'm sorry that your cat is not well. I have 2 cats and I think I would be the same as I love them to bits and you just don't like to see them hurting. A bit like the panic when our children are ill. I can't say a lot to help as I just know I would be the same She will get better soon as just try to take comfort in the fact that you know you are doing all you can to care for her and get her on the road to recovery. Try some relaxation for yourself, listening to soothing music and cuddling your little kitty
    I hope she recovers soon xx

Hi Sylver, is your mog any better? I sympathise, our cat is 15, and as he gets older he is more and more shaky on his legs. He doesn't like swallowing pills either, we usually have to crush them up in food

Hi, the cat that was lame is better now but another one has an infected cut/bite on his ear so have him on antibiotics for that. It tends to go like this, no vet visits for months, then a few of them get sick one after the other with different ailments.

Struggling with the panic even though I know it's nothing very serious and I've spoken to the vet and she's said what I've been doing is right (didn't bring cat to vet as he's hard to catch and only comes home late at night) but there's always that niggling worry. Plus worrying over how I'll get the medication into him. Gonna try to do it early tonight so it's over with and will keep him locked in till he calms down, he went off for about 6-7 hours last night in a huff after I'd pinned him down to clean the wound and give him the antibiotic.

Thread Information