Thread: Travel Anxiety - Going to Japan

Unhappy Travel Anxiety - Going to Japan

Hi Everyone, I am new to this and needed a place to talk about my anxiety. I will be going to Japan by myself in a few weeks and I'm starting to really panic. Ive had panic attacks in the past and am so afraid that this will ruin my whole trip. Help!

Re: Travel Anxiety - Going to Japan

Even if you do have a panic attack why should it ruin it? I had a panic attack on a flight to Portugal and at the Princes palace in Monaco but I survived them and I still enjoyed my trips Just feel the fear and do it. Don't worry about panicking. Most likely you won't but even if you do what is the worst thing that can happen?

Great advice Annie, it's so true that even if you do have a panic attack when travelling it definitely doesn't mean your holiday will be ruined. I had a few on my recent travels and it certainly didn't end up ruining the trip, it just meant employing the same techniques I would at home and letting myself calm down again before getting back on with things.

Shola, it's likely that your panic is at its peak right now, and you're probably catastrophising things that could go wrong on your trip. Once you actually get there you will have confronted your fear and you'll realise that none of the things you fear are happening, which should help ease your anxiety.

Not sure if you've been to Japan before but it's a great place, very safe, very clean and with excellent doctors and high living standard, the people are friendly and helpful.

When I had my panic attack in Monacco 2 policemen and 3 firemen came to assist me It is almost worth going back just to have another panic attack!!

Shola,

I used to travel a LOT when I was a teenager by myself to the Virgin Islands, up and down the coast, etc. At 19 I was diagnosed with panic disorder and didn't get on a plane to travel long haul for another 6 years (I flew once from NJ to NY in the time before that). I drank a lot for that to cope and took some xanax. But I didn't face it or confront it doing it that way. I thought my travel days were behind me because I feared having anxiety on both the travel part and the trip part.

Then, in March 2015, I flew on my own to England (across an ocean for the first time - and on a plane by myself again for the first time on a long haul flight since being diagnosed). I was very nervous to get onto a plane and did have some anxiety mid flight, however the flight went fine. I have to admit, I was really excited to be flying to go see my fiance so that helped keep most anxiety at bay.

If you're worried about having panic attacks or anxiety in flight or on your trip, just remember, they reach a peak and then they come back down. It won't last the entirety of your trip or flight. I regret not flying or traveling more for a few years prior to my NY flight in 2007 soley due to my fear of having anxiety on the flight and/or trip.
    I say go for it. Try to get sucked into a good book or the on flight movies. When you land in Japan, just remind yourself, if you have anxiety, you can dip into a bathroom or sit somewhere until it passes - then carry on afterwards. If it gets really bad, go back to your hotel and order room service, watch tv and try to tackle it again the next day. I know how discouraging it can be to feel anxiety when everything inside you is telling you that you're supposed to be enjoying yourself, however like I said - you just have to remember - panic attacks only last so long - you'll reach that peak, come down a bit and be able to keep on having a good time on your trip. At worst, you can arrange to perhaps fly home early?

Best of luck and have an amazing trip! Have fun!

Thread Information