Thread: Motivation

Motivation

Hello,

I am curious if any other OCD sufferers struggle with motivation? I seem to even on good days struggle to focus on things. I feel like I am being lazy, therfore don't feel like I deserve any extra help for being behind on things. For example, I have a lot of work to do but just can't seem to focus at the moment, but feel like if I ask for more time I'm not deserving of it because I don't know if I'm just lazy. Does anyone else experience this and know any ways of getting more motivated?

Thanks

Re: Motivation

Hey there,

YEESSSSSS. This is one of the hallmarks of the problem for me.

I don't know whether it's because of the anxiety that OCD causes (and the tiredness from resisting compulsions) or whether it's to do with the tablets I take for it…either way, it's a right pain and threatens me getting my work done.

I've found setting specific tasks for the time of day, and timetabling, is a really good thing. Not just saying 'I will write for 2 hrs today', but saying 'this will happen between 10am-12pm', makes it harder to stay off track. I also use distraction management software like AntiSocial and Freedom to turn off the internet, a constant source of compulsive checking otherwise (and I mean really compulsive in the sense of reassurance-seeking and endlessly reading about whatever my current theme is, not just 'Oh I'm always checking my email').

I believe that 'lowering opportunity cost' is another good way to self-motivate. So, if you want to go for a run but can't be bothered to get the shoes on, use a time when you DO have energy to lay your running clothes and shoes out at the end of the bed, so they're staring at you first thing in the morning. Little tips and tricks like that really help.

In terms of life-stuff motivation (dishes etc) I tend to find that my wife keeps me on-message with that - OCD or no OCD, I don't get to lounge around!

I struggle with motivation sometimes. I've had anxiety that has made it difficult for me to function in school. So I know what you're talking about. I do the same thing. I'll know I have work to do but I'll keep procrastinating on it.

Motivation is a bit of myth.

Motivation is an enabler for procrastination. Stop believing in motivation.

Thanks for the replies/advice!

Thread Information