Thread: Citalopram and motivation

Question Citalopram and motivation

Hi fellow anxiety warriors!

I've now been on citalopram since September.. 20mg since December. Anxiety has massively reduced, although derealisation still pops its ugly head up in nearly every social situation for some reason.

But overall I'm feeling better than before cit. HOWEVER- I am now so relaxed about life I almost don't care about it? I feel so unmotivated to do anything. I sleep way more, eat bad food and don't exercise because I literally cannot be bothered and I don't even care that I can't be bothered?! Also this is affecting my studies- I have two essays due in and I left all of my work at uni and now cannot write one- but I'm not worried in the slightest even though I should be?

I also feel slightly numb towards other people's emotions, if someone makes a joke it takes me a while to realise it's funny and I should laugh. Also I am having such bad memory loss- i forget why I'm in the kitchen, that I've got plates out, that I've moved things or said things to certain people! It's scary...

Has anyone else experienced these issues? If so - does it get better?!

Thanks

Re: Citalopram and motivation

Quote Originally Posted by Conni View Post
    I also feel slightly numb towards other people's emotions, if someone makes a joke it takes me a while to realise it's funny and I should laugh. Also I am having such bad memory loss- i forget why I'm in the kitchen, that I've got plates out, that I've moved things or said things to certain people! It's scary...

Has anyone else experienced these issues? If so - does it get better?!
    The memory issues are likely to resolve. Antidepressants work by stimulating the growth of new brain cells in the two hippocampi regions of the brain which, among others things, mediate memory. This can impact memory in the short-term.

The lack of motivation may become a longer term issue. Given you are still have derealisation I suggest a dose increase should be considered. It might both diminish the derealisation and boost motivation. However, if lack of motivation persists you will need to consider switching to another SSRI. Even switching to the almost identical escitalopram (Lexapro) may do the trick as there are often subtle differences in the side-effects they produce.

Thread Information