Thread: Hi, health and social anxiety

Red face Hi, health and social anxiety

Hi all,

I have read posts on here for a while but this is the first I have written. I have had anxiety in various forms for many years, panic attacks, derealisation, social fears, health anxiety. And I am also mum to an 11 year old daughter who has anxiety. She has social phobia and GAD, after having selective mutism as a preschooler. Her wellbeing affects how I feel so much.

At the moment I am struggling because I have what is probably a bad cough and chest infection but I fear the worst and am forever researching possible causes online. I convince myself I will never get better. I also got told I had high blood pressure (a one off) so now I am paranoid about heart issues, spurred on by shortness of breath. Yet again, when I see a doctor, I am told everything is fine and it's nothing bad. That's the story of my life. I am constantly investigating ailments, to be told by a doctor that nothing is wrong. I am sure they must have written warnings about me on my notes by now.

I have struggled with social phobia for most of my life but have learnt to live with it so well that people would never guess. I am quiet in some situations but can talk and say what I need to. But now I have been told I have to do a classroom style presentation to 20+ people in work. It is my worst nightmare. I have gone to pieces and have even had bad dreams about it.

At times living with anxiety is so hard. I am struggling at the moment and would run away if I could. Life can be hard. I wonder if I have depression at times like this but have never broached the subject with a doctor.

I am hoping that talking and reading advice on here might help me.

Thanks xx

Welcome to No More Panic!

Hiya polbailey and welcome to NMP

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Re: Hi, health and social anxiety

Hi polbailey

Being anxious about giving a presentation is completely normal and you'll probably find anyone else that has to do it will be similar. I have to do these types of things regularly and find that making a few crib cards beforehand then having a quick run through in front of someone, maybe your daughter or a friend or two will make it much easier. You'll be amazed at how quickly the time will fly by and you'll be finished

I'm new too, I just joined today, so I wanted to say hi to you. It sounds silly to welcome you when I'm also new, but welcome anyway! Hopefully you'll find some good support here to help you with what you're going through.

Geoff.

Hello ! YOu are so not alone. I too fear that the doctors are "wrong" or something is going on inside me they can't see. I feel like they "shoo" me away because I am a frequent flyer. How are you doing?

Hi everyone, thanks for the welcome, I am actually poorly with a virus and (of course) I feel I have more serious issues going on. It doesn't help that my BP was high - the docs said it was due to the virus, but now I worry it is causing heart issues!
    Has anyone actually been diagnosed with health anxiety / hypochondria? I feel like going to the doctor and confessing all, telling them how I feel and why. Maybe sharing the burden will help it calm a little?
    At the moment I think the fact that relatives had health issues quite young (50+) makes it worse.

Thread Information