Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panic attack after effects

Panic attack after effects

Hi,
    I had a dreadful panic attack while out with my dad on Monday evening. Tingling, pins and needles, drenched in sweat and feeling really, really surreal.
    It passed after an hour or so but yesterday I had to take the day off work as I could feel panic passing through again, but in smaller waves.
    I went to the doctors who told me it was the after effects of the panic attack and that I had consumed too much caffeine - I'd had five Diet Cokes in the past 24 hours - and that is what probably caused the panic attack.
    I am back in work today but it keeps passing through - again - and I'm really worried I won't feel "normal" again.

Re: Panic attack after effects

How exactly do you feel ? Because I've been going through this

Like surreal and really tired and jittery. Comes and goes, though.

Can you cut down on the caffeine maybe? Caffeine tends to not help people with anxiety and panic. Some people are more tolerant though. I still eat a bit of chocolate here and there, but I drink decaf coffee. I'm certainly not cured of my anxiety and panic, but I figured I don't need the added influence of caffeine. That's just me though.

I have cut down, totally. It's been three days now and feel ok, but still a bit shaky and getting thoughts in my head that it's going to happen again, so then I feel panicky once more.
    Don't know what to do?

I had similar experiences when I first started having them.

There are a couple of things that triggered for me.
    1) is like an aftershock, where you worry about it and the cyclic nature of worrying stimulates a smaller mini panic.
    2) Caffiene and Cigarettes, both equally bad for me - I switched to RedBush tea with honey (sugar isn't too great either except for directly after an attack). A psychiatrist I saw for years always opened the session by asking how many a day I was smoking / drinking as it's not just terribly detrimental to anxiety but it's also an indicator of your state of mind. Having said that, don't go cold turkey on either it will just make it worse.
    3)It sounds to me like you might be experiencing a little depersonalisation or de-realisation - do you have feelings of the world being foggy, slightly distant and dream like?

It's nothing to worry about and it will pass, but it can be un-nerving and onset after a bad attack, to my personal understanding (not scientific I'm sure) it's just the balance of chemicals affected by an attack re-normalising in the brain, and the unusual nature of it can make you feel rather uncomfortable if not fully anxious.

I hope this helps - clearly anecdotal based on my experiences.

Just remember its temporary, these horrible experiences will definitely die down and become manageable, if not hopefully go away altogether.

---------- Post added at 06:26 ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nat_Tree7rog View Post
    I had similar experiences when I first started having them.

There are a couple of things that triggered for me.
    1) is like an aftershock, where you worry about it and the cyclic nature of worrying stimulates a smaller mini panic.
    2) Caffiene and Cigarettes, both equally bad for me - I switched to RedBush tea with honey (sugar isn't too great either except for directly after an attack). A psychiatrist I saw for years always opened the session by asking how many a day I was smoking / drinking as it's not just terribly detrimental to anxiety but it's also an indicator of your state of mind. Having said that, don't go cold turkey on either it will just make it worse.
    3)It sounds to me like you might be experiencing a little depersonalisation or de-realisation - do you have feelings of the world being foggy, slightly distant and dream like?

It's nothing to worry about and it will pass, but it can be un-nerving and onset after a bad attack, to my personal understanding (not scientific I'm sure) it's just the balance of chemicals affected by an attack re-normalising in the brain, and the unusual nature of it can make you feel rather uncomfortable if not fully anxious.

I hope this helps - clearly anecdotal based on my experiences.

Just remember its temporary, these horrible experiences will definitely die down and become manageable, if not hopefully go away altogether.
    Thinking aloud here - the whole point of a panic attack is the flight/fight response just kicking into gear at the wrong time. I would guess it's pretty useful during and shortly after that time for your subconscious to be doing more for you leaving your logical brain hung out to dry (which could explain that dreamlike autopilot sensation I described experiencing).

Panic attacks are seriously draining and powerful events and it does definitely take a period of time (from several hours up to 24/48 hours in my experience) to get back to a more steady state.

good luck and chin up

---------- Post added at 06:28 ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by CantonaKing View Post
    I have cut down, totally. It's been three days now and feel ok, but still a bit shaky and getting thoughts in my head that it's going to happen again, so then I feel panicky once more.
    Don't know what to do?
    The single biggest trigger of a panic attack for me, is the realisation I could have 1, and then the rush of fear and emotion around, 'what if i did?' 'who would see'? 'how bad will it be this time?'...

For me what helped was this - "nobody has ever died from a panic attack alone' - it's nasty for sure, I hope I never have on again, but in all likelihood I will, and when that becomes a possibility, you can wind down that feedback loop by putting it into perspective as best you are able.

Thanks.
    I was fine today until I was driving to my wife's parents - shed spent the day with them - for dinner.
    It was an 45 minute drive, but with lots of heavy traffic.
    I calmed myself down in the car but when I got out of the car, I could feel that surge of adrenaline through my body and my heart pounding.
    I sat down at my in-laws and explained the situation and everyone was really good.
    I'm ok now, but a bit jittery and terrified it's going to happen again.
    Why am I still having the after-effects four days later? Shouldn't it have dissipated by now?
    Also, I'm asthmatic so if I feel I can't catch my breath, I panic but then if I panic separately, my asthma will come on, so it's a vicious circle.
    As I said, doctor said it'll take a few days for the after effects to subside, but it's been four days now?
    I'm terrified I'll never feel myself again.

Quote Originally Posted by CantonaKing View Post
    Why am I still having the after-effects four days later? Shouldn't it have dissipated by now?

I'm terrified I'll never feel myself again.
    You will feel like yourself again just hang in there. It took me over a week once to recover from a really bad attack. Focus on getting through each day and doing activities that will help keep you calm. Doing a guided meditation each day (there are apps and free videos on YouTube for this) could help

I consume a lot of caffeine (diet soda) and always have, and I can't imagine quitting.
    The one time I tried to switch to decaf soda (during a brief, ill-fated trial of Wellbutrin), I ended up peeing in the bed every night. My husband did not appreciate this too much.
    I know caffeine is generally counterindicated for people with anxiety, but seriously, I cannot IMAGINE quitting.
    I've been consuming tons of caffeine since early childhood (I am middle-aged now) and i do not feel like myself without it.

But everybody's different, so by all means try cutting it out if you think it will help.

Best wishes.

It's calmed fown, thankfully, but I felt like I couldn't catch my breath over the last two days (I'm asthmatic, too).
    Today, it's felt really tight from my stomach, just above the belly button, to my chest.
    The more I think about it, the more anxious I can feel myself becoming.
    Does anybody else think it's because I've been taking deep breaths in and out over the past week and it may have affected my chest or it could be that anxiety is causing my chest to feel tight?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information