Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: New puppy and Anxiety???

Re: New puppy and Anxiety???

its the responsibility of having a new life to be responsible for.

As Milly rightly says in a nutshell! Responsibility increases anxiety. Also the more precious something is to us, the more our anxiety rises because of something going wrong and losing it.

Just as in sport. The more important a match, the more we feel we have to lose and the more our fear rises.

This is why having a new baby or moving house is so stressful.

I can remember that within a year I'd got married, changed jobs and moved homes then combined with my wifes illness I started getting panics. When I saw a psychologist he told me it was the pressure together with new responsibility.

The more we have, the more we fear losing but gradually as things settle we get used to the new responsibilities and we begin to relax. Time heals because what was new becomes old and merges with everything else in our lives that we hold as important to us.

Ohh about this time last year I felt exactly the same, we picked up our 12 week old chocolate lab puppy and my anx went through the roof. But once we were in a routine and settled it calmed down.

I now have one of the bestest friends ever (if not a little on the cheeky side!), she keeps me going on those dark days

Hi Snow

I have not been on the forum for awhile but when I saw your posting just now I had to write.
    About 10 years ago we had a horrible house fire. Thank God no one was hurt. We needed to go into a rental house.
    My late dog had been gone awhile and I got this "great" idea that what would lift my spirits would be to get a dog.
    Off we went to the local shelter and got a cute little lab mix.
    Even at her young age I could see she was very dominant.
    In light of our circumstances with the fire and all it was the worst idea.
    Sadly I brought her back a few days later.
    Your situation is different though.
    I think what people like us that suffer from anxiety is often a problem with committing- in other words we are often looking for an escape from our anxiety, a need to get away, run away.
    Maybe with this new pup you are feeling anxiety due to the fact that you now must care for him/her and also for yourself and any others in your family.
    I know that after my late dog Gwen passed I wanted another dog yet on the other hand I was fearful if I was making the right decision. To get a dog or not. Many years went by and I frankly think that I held back inpart because I didn't find the right dog and perhaps too because of anxiety about the responsibility. In other words, and this may sound crazy, would having a dog increase my already there anxiety.
    A few years after the fire I found the perfect match- I was working in a animal rescue group and found my beloved new girl.
    My best advice to you is to take a deep breath ( or many- LOL) and look at the fun and happy side of having a pup.
    I know they are tons of work more so then an older dog.
    Also keep in mind is to not worry about what people say- in other words if you feel that you cannot keep her and must return her then do what is best for you.
    Give it some time I say and try not to let the anxiety get the better of you.
    Enjoy the new pup and let him/her make you laugh.
    Hope this has helped some.

Soup

\" I have developed a new philosophy.....I only dread one day at a time.\" Charlie Brown

It is now just over two years since I posted this, and yes, it was definitely worth the anxiety in the beginning. "Molly" is so much a part of our family now, I can't imagine not having her. I guess I wanted to update in case anyone else was going through the anxiety of a new puppy (or kitten).

Hi there

I was exactly the same when I got my puppy 3 years ago, little Betty I didn't sleep for about 2 nighs with anxiety/panic, but it passed after a couple of weeks, I would not be without her now, she has always been there for me.

Jackie xx

I had a new puppy a while now and i was so convinced it would help my anxiety but boy was i wrong it stressed me right out to be honest was all for taking him back but i stuck with it and it gets easier he is now a yr old still hard work as very stubborn and hard to train but he has his love to give and so i allways forgive his mistermeaners give it time and it will be worth it x

Snowshadow, I am going through the exact puppy anxiety right now. We just moved house and my husband started a job. This all happened around my son's birthday and I didn't want his birthday ruined due to all of the moving. My son wanted a puppy, so i got him a puppy four days ago. The night we brought the puppy home, I had a huge panic attack. I even went to the doctor and they want me to go to a cardiologist for rapid heart beat. But, it is from stress and being overwhelmed with worry about how the puppy will fit into our lives. I worry he will bark and keep us up at night. He is nippy with the kids and there are so many bad habits to break him of. I am overwhelmed with the responsibility of this puppy on top of my other duties of homeschooling the kids etc.... I wanted to rehome the puppy , but have been out voted by my family to keep the puppy. How can i deal with my high anxiety. The doctor gave me some medicine to take to sleep at night, but last night my anxiety exceeded the medicine. Now everyone thinks I am crazy. I feel crazy. My husband wants to keep the puppy as the kids want him and it would break their hearts. My daughter cried at the thought of giving him up. But children don't know the responsiblity of him.
    PLease help me someone with words / advice that will help me calm down and stop worrying and panicing. I can hardly function in the state I am in. I need to pull myself together.
    Thank you for any help anyone can give!

My heart is breaking reading your post as I got a puppy on Friday and took him back on Sunday ( 200 mile round trip)
    I wanted a puppy for months, and talked my other half into getting him. I have three children and have totally broken their hearts by taking him back
    I could not sleep. Have not eaten for three days and feel really stupid. I got stressed about the smell and dirt in the house.
    In general my stresses come from work. I wish I had stuck in with the puppy but know that I feel better now he has gone. I just need to make it up to my kids as they are devastated.

AnnieRose
    Keep the puppy honey, it will help you longterm. We got our little girl about 5 months ago, she is a golden Labrador called Bonnie. She was a little monkey for about 2 weeks barking at night and nipping at times but once we set a routine she turned the corner and is now 8 months old and is the most loving dog you could ever meet. She has never showed any form of aggression to anybody or anything, she loves children and we just love her. I think it takes a few weeks for both sides to settle down and accept each other but once the bond is there it's true love. In a morning I don't need to wash I get so many kisses. Honestly persevere you won't regret it.

I also had that problem when I got my puppy, he was crying all through the night and I was panicking he would be like that all the time. Then I was panicking that i wanted to get rid of him but I stuck it out and I still have him now almost 2 years later and I love him to bits! All worth it in the end x

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information