Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tooth extraction

Tooth extraction

Hi

I have been having the worst morn ever. Just been to the dentist and they said I may need to have the bottom tooth extracted under sedation in hospital. I just want it fine there. I'm having an x ray tomorrow to see what needs to be done. I read a leaflet and it Said anesthetic may cause death. What the hell. I'm scared as it is. I have taken diazepam which hasn't helped. All over teeth. Haven't been this anxious or depressed in months and my partner is just angry with me for being dramatic. Really need some help or positivity.

Re: Tooth extraction

Can it not be done whilst you are awake at the dentist?

I had surgery 6 weeks ago and was terrified so I can understand exactly where you are coming from. Take a deep breath and think about things in a logic way.

---------- Post added at 23:19 ---------- Previous post was at 23:18 ----------

Oh and they said you MAY need to have it done - try not to worry about it until you actually know xxx
    ''I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me''
    ~Dr Seuss~

Hi
    I know where your coming from, i had my tooth at the top back took out because of a crack, i got it done at the dentists though under anesthetic, i had one injected into the roof of my mouth and one injected in the gum where the tooth was getting took out and one at the other side of my mouth, i was worried aswell and i asked if its common to have an allergic reaction and they said very rare cases have been reported to have had problems with the anesthetic, so death couldnt be common with it or they wouldnt use it, all the dentist said to me was that it can cause a bit of an adrenaline rush.. shakey and heart beating fast but doesnt last for long, trust me you will be fine. I had my done in early pregnancy too and all is ok. Any advice or anything just feel free to message x

Thanks you two. I had anesthetic the other day when had a filling for sane tooth and was fine. So hopefully will be okay. Who would have thought something so common and simple could cause so much worry

Hi. I had my two bottom wisdom teeth out in hospital under general anaesthetic. I've been on anti anxiety pills and anti depressants for years. So the build up to going in hospital for me was a worry but afterwards I was like that weren't too bad. Just make sure you have got plenty of soup in the house.
    The disclaimer forms you have to sign prior to the op is basically because we live in a sue culture.
    Other than that you go in hospital, stick your robe on, they give you an injection so you don't feel or see anything, then afterwards wake up with teeth missing. They keep you afterwards until you drink a tea and have a pee. I went in at 6am and got picked up at 4pm.

Willous,
    When you have had the dental work done, you will be wondering why you worried
    so much, sending you hugs

Thank you everyone. And 'Magic', you have really cheered me up. No one I know understands.

Chris, did you have the option to have it done awake instead.

That wasnt an option.

My bottom wisdom teeth were growing and trying to come up underneath the ones in front plus my teeth were impacted and no space. The procedure was not one I would want to be awake for. I had to have my jaw dislocated in the process.

I took the day after off work as holiday to recover but then went back. Overall it took about 2 weeks of ibuprofen and and a week of antibiotics.

I had my top 2 wisdom teeth taken out in the dentist surgery under local anaethestic.

The nurses were fantastic before and after during my hospital visit.

The reason i get worked up is because i google everything out of curiosity.

Exactly what I have done Chris. Now I feel even worse. Will find out at 9.30 tomorrow if I can have it done at the dentists of not. Something to do with the roots being open plus the bone? My partner thinks I am being so silly. I want to take diazepam before I go but don't know if allowed.

It is easy for me to say it in hindsight but I felt a right pratt afterwards. Seriously its nothing to worry about. I would rather do that again than go christmas shopping. You don't feel a thing during the procedure. You go to sleep then wake up and its done. The sedative probably takes a day or two to get out of your system. Your surrounded by doctors and nurses at all times and are in the best hands possible.

My pain threshold is low and the op was seriously nothing to worry about. Although I did make the nurse laugh. I turned away when she got the injection out. Then suddenly I went oooh ouch and tensed up. She then went dont worry I am only just dabbing your arm with wet cotton wool. I felt such a tit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information