Thread: mirtazapine and weigh gain?

mirtazapine and weigh gain?

Hi, read a lot of horror stories about people putting on lots of weight on this, is it due to increased appetite or does the drug itself cause you to put on weight despite eating healthily and exercising?

Re: mirtazapine and weigh gain?

It may be a bit of both. I put on 5 kg the first 5 weeks! I was hungry ALL the time so ate more than normal. It certainly increases your appetite.

A bit of both, I think, too.

It's not inevitable - but many have to be highly disciplined with their diets to avoid this, sadly. Fizzy water is very useful to fill yourself up - zero calories.

Quote Originally Posted by shiznit76 View Post
    Hi, read a lot of horror stories about people putting on lots of weight on this, is it due to increased appetite or does the drug itself cause you to put on weight despite eating healthily and exercising?
    Mirtazapine can induce powerful carbohydrate cravings. Some will literally eat sugar straight from the bag while on it.

Given that it has few, if any advantages over other antidepressants for anything other than very severe depression and is very prone to pooping-out, often within only a few months, mirtazapine is well down on my list of recommended antidepressants.

I gained weight with mirtazapine, my appetite increased in a big way but I have found that after six months it calmed down a lot. I think mirtazapine has a bad reputation but I am really happy on it a the moment, I take it for anxiety and I do get break through anxiety and I have taken SSRI's in the past which do work well for anxiety but I feel less numb on mirtazpine than I did on SSRI's.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Mirtazapine can induce powerful carbohydrate cravings. Some will literally eat sugar straight from the bag while on it.

Given that it has few, if any advantages over other antidepressants for anything other than very severe depression and is very prone to pooping-out, often within only a few months, mirtazapine is well down on my list of recommended antidepressants.
    I actually did eat sugar from the bag! And the Mirt helped with my mood and anxiety for about 3 months then I was back to square one. Feeling as bad as before and 9 kg heavier :(

It's one of the few side effects i've had since starting Mirtazapine. It's caused me to put on so much weight that my cholesterol is now above the recommended limit because i'm eating far too much. I thought I enjoyed food before, but oh boy does Mirtazapine cause me to crave! There have been times i've woken up in the middle of the night and headed straight for the fridge

Thread Information