Thread: Fatigue anyone?

Fatigue anyone?

For years I have suffered with episodes of depression, anxiety, and fatigue- not always in the same order, or at least that's how it seems.

I'm truly confused after 20 years whether it is my chronic and low level social/agoraphobia that kicks off fatigue and depression or the other way around.

Regardless, does anyone else suffer debilitating fatigue when in the grip of a relapse of phobia and depression?

Re: Fatigue anyone?

I suffer with it,too. I suppose it's quite understandable,when you think about it,for our body and mind to become worn out and overwhelmed from all the fear,stress and worry we feel so often. I get fatigue after particularly bad spells of anxiety,and have just recovered from one a week ago.

Thanks for replying ana... I found that No matter how much I try, I always start to feel wobbly after walking a couple of miles... when I am particularly anxious or depressed this shrinks to very short distances. Hope you feel better now

I feel the same. Walking places is a nightmare for me. I get panicky and feel depersonalisation. I'm doing better,though,thank you,and I wish the same for you.

Yes. At the moment I'm going through a period of feeling weakness in my muscles (they tremor with the fatigue when I use them) undergoing tests but it seems like it's all down to lots od stress and anxiety since having my baby and coming off meds nearly 2 years ago now. I just find doing most things too much, literally physically,even house work which I'm really not on top of at all right now. I get overstimulated by being in certain atmospheres too. So yes I think fatigue is a real part of anxiety and/or depression.

I can completely relate to that,so much so that I feel like your post could have been written by me! I also tend to get over stimulated and irritable because of it. How long have you had anxiety for?

It's good to be able to relate! I've suffered on and off with anxiety in it's more major form (as in panic attacks and actually being ill with it) since I was 16, and I'm now 30. I've had periods of years where I've been mostly fine, but never been able to hold down a paid job. I think part of that may have been pressure as I used to do voluntary stuff no problem. How about you?

I struggle with work a lot,but I'm trying my best to not let my anxiety affect my job performance. I'm sorry to hear that you've been suffering for so long. If it makes you feel any better,I've been suffering for 15 years now. I've had therapy,taken loads of meds and the improvement is still gradual (slow!!)

Always good to check your B12 and folate levels, especially where there's fatigue. My levels are very low and now I have injections. Certainly helps me.

I have pretty extreme fatigue.. I have been diagnosed with KLS - but not sure they're right. I sleep between 12 - 16hr a day for many many years.

I like to think of it like this: We all have a glass of water before us.. That water is our mental stamina... Most people go go go all day, sleep, repeat and that water never reaches the bottom.

But people with panic, or agoraphobia - we just have a wee-little-bit of water in our glass - it's easy to hit empty.. maybe going somewhere new, being visually overstimulated in a mall or grocery store where there are so many repeating patterns, even reading a book, playing a video game..

our water gets empty and were screwed. for me it takes 1 long night of sleep to recover. but sometimes it can take days or even weeks to recover that energy.. for my glass to fill.

this is why when we get overstimulated we run back to the safety of our home to recover and replenish.. I keep my drapes drawn most of the time (bright light is fatiguing to me) etc.

I did see this on wikipedia which makes sense.. as i also have vestibular issues:

>
    Although the exact causes of agoraphobia are unknown, some clinicians who have treated or attempted to treat agoraphobia offer plausible hypotheses. The condition has been linked to the presence of other anxiety disorders, a stressful environment, or substance abuse.[citation needed]
    Research has uncovered a link between agoraphobia and difficulties with spatial orientation.[10][11] Individuals without agoraphobia are able to maintain balance by combining information from their vestibular system, their visual system, and their proprioceptive sense. A disproportionate number of agoraphobics have weak vestibular function and consequently rely more on visual or tactile signals. They may become disoriented when visual cues are sparse (as in wide-open spaces) or overwhelming (as in crowds).[12] Likewise, they may be confused by sloping or irregular surfaces.[12] In a virtual reality study, agoraphobics showed impaired processing of changing audiovisual data in comparison with nonsuffering subjects.[13]
    Last edited by panicface; 01-12-16 at 18:07. Reason: fat fingers

Thread Information