Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Medication for agraphobia

Re: Medication for agraphobia

Exposure therapy is highly effective, though it's the most difficult thing in the universe! This summer, I had a bad spell that lasted over a month, and I found myself unable to leave the house. It took me weeks to get comfortable walking to the front door without going into full blown panic mode, but I eventually managed to walk to the nearby car park, and am now more or less back to being back to normal. I can get to several places, workplace included, feeling moderately ok.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie67 View Post
    Hi

My main problem is intense dizziness.

x
    There's evidence that agorophobia is related to vestibular issues (i have both)

>
    Although the exact causes of agoraphobia are unknown, some clinicians who have treated or attempted to treat agoraphobia offer plausible hypotheses. The condition has been linked to the presence of other anxiety disorders, a stressful environment, or substance abuse.[citation needed]
    Research has uncovered a link between agoraphobia and difficulties with spatial orientation.[10][11] Individuals without agoraphobia are able to maintain balance by combining information from their vestibular system, their visual system, and their proprioceptive sense. A disproportionate number of agoraphobics have weak vestibular function and consequently rely more on visual or tactile signals. They may become disoriented when visual cues are sparse (as in wide-open spaces) or overwhelming (as in crowds).[12] Likewise, they may be confused by sloping or irregular surfaces.[12] In a virtual reality study, agoraphobics showed impaired processing of changing audiovisual data in comparison with nonsuffering subjects.[13]

---------- Post added at 19:10 ---------- Previous post was at 19:09 ----------

i treat mine with xanax - i avoid big triggers and if i panic out of blue i drop 0.25 - i have never built a tolerance. i then deep breathe for 20min till xanax hits while i pray to any god listening to please give me one more chance - lol

Hi Panicface

WOW! That's very interesting.

I must say, even a slight breeze can knock me off balance.

How would I get checked out for vestibular issues?

Hope you are having a good day.

x

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie67 View Post
    Hi Panicface

WOW! That's very interesting.

I must say, even a slight breeze can knock me off balance.

How would I get checked out for vestibular issues?

Hope you are having a good day.

x
    go see your doc - you probably know if you have vestibular issues already - like for me, i can't play first person shooter video games, it makes me SO sick and ill - all those sharp turns and planes that don't agree with my brain.

also i can't watch 3D movies, i get sick on boats and even when i finally land the earth continues to move for hours. i have migraines (another common co-issue) and MAG (migraine associated vertigo)

if you spin around and have vest. issues you'll feel it worse than regular folks. etc etc

http://vestibular.org/understanding-...order/symptoms

the pregabalin can make you a bit dizzy at first too or did you give up with that?

its supposed to be good for gad so should make exposure therapy easier.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information