Thread: 5 days on prozac, is this normal?

5 days on prozac, is this normal?

So I have just started prozac (fluoxetine) and this is my 5th day on the medication. I have been being pressured by my therapist to get on some sort of meds for months because I am having a terrible rabies fear and my anxiety disorder has been worse than ever before. He tried to put me on zoloft first but I would feel dizzy and feverish every time I took a pill so he suggested prozac. I haven't had any bad experience so far but I am concerned because its only my 5th day and I already seem to be having side effects? I had really abnormal pins and needles in my arm on the 3rd day that came and went all day and night and I haven't had those since, but it was still odd. Yesterday (day 4) I completely lost the ability to cry or panic. Its like I feel extremely overwhelmed like I NEED to have a panic attack or break down in tears but I physically can't. No matter how hard I try I can't cry or express those emotions. I realize this can be a side effect of most anti depressants and anxiety meds but this is only day 5 so I am really concerned and scared thinking it must be the disease I am worried I have. Is it possible to feel any effects at all so early on or is something wrong with me?

---------- Post added at 18:48 ---------- Previous post was at 15:54 ----------

Having terrible shaking and tremors/spasms in my arms and hands now, especially my fingers. I am flipping out trying to calm down and not rush myself to the hospital but this is terrifying since I am so worried I have rabies. Somebody please tell me if this is normal prozac side effect stuff or not.

Re: 5 days on prozac, is this normal?

I was on Lexapro for 10 years until it stopped working for me. Dr. switched me to Prozac about 2 years ago. It was a rough transition for me and took weeks before I got through the side effects, but once I did it has worked well. Everyone is different, but you can certainly be experiencing side effects after 5 days. Hang in there. Best wishes.

Always discuss medical concerns with your Dr.

Re: 5 days on prozac, is this normal?

This totally normal. I have been on Fluoxetine for 8 weeks now and the first two weeks were absolute hell. I had the side effects hit me hard after my second dose, so you def can be feeling them at this stage. Try and get through the first two weeks in any way you can, then it gets a lot more bearable.

Thread Information