Thread: Horrible nightmares

Horrible nightmares

Since I've been on citalopram I've started having some very vivid dreams. I know this is a side effect of cit and there's not much I can do about it, but just recently they have turned into nightmares - really horrible nightmares - last night I dreamed I strangled a baby, and the night before that my son jumped out of his bedroom window and..... I can't even bring myself to say it

It's truly horrific, will it eventually stop? I've been on cit for about 9 months now and although I'm better than I was I'm still not 100% and get a lot of blips, some last for weeks - I'm in one now...

Also going through the menopause so I'm guessing that's not helping at all. I take HRT but I think it needs reviewing because I still feel dreadful, like I have a constant hangover every day.

Re: Horrible nightmares

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo61 View Post
    Since I've been on citalopram I've started having some very vivid dreams. I know this is a side effect of cit and there's not much I can do about it, but just recently they have turned into nightmares - really horrible nightmares - last night I dreamed I strangled a baby, and the night before that my son jumped out of his bedroom window and..... I can't even bring myself to say it

It's truly horrific, will it eventually stop? I've been on cit for about 9 months now and although I'm better than I was I'm still not 100% and get a lot of blips, some last for weeks - I'm in one now...

Also going through the menopause so I'm guessing that's not helping at all. I take HRT but I think it needs reviewing because I still feel dreadful, like I have a constant hangover every day.
    I get bad dreams but I'm not on medication. The other night I was woken up because a deranged poodle was about to rip my face off.

The menopause has a LOT to answer for. Sympathies on that one too. X

I feel for you mojo. The nightmares are horrific. I'm like you just over 9 months on Cit. I had 3 weeks where I felt almost normal but been in a blip for 2 weeks now. Feel almost like I did at the beginning. I'm 48 so guessing I could be peri menopause. I'm thinking of stopping the cit (with docs help) and trying hrt. I don't really wanna increase to 40mg! Your nightmares sound horrible. I guess mine are mild compared to yours. Chin up. Xx

Hi Polly. You could try just starting a low dose HRT alongside the cit to see if that helps. I'm on both and don't have any issues combining the two. It's horrible having a blip, like you I'm in one at the moment after about 6 weeks of feeling better so I know how you feel. I know it's a normal part of recovery but that doesn't help when you're in the middle of one does it?

It's horrible. It just makes you feel so disheartened . However onwards and upwards. Xx

I have very intense dreams since this whole anxiety journey started for me about the same time as you. Not sure if it's medication-related or not. I've always dreamed a lot but this seems like a lot more. Not quite nightmares but some come pretty close. It's exhausting isn't it?

Thread Information