Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tapering off Citalopram 40mg

Tapering off Citalopram 40mg

OK, am going to do a bit of a diary of tapering off Citalopram I think, in case it's helpful to me or others in the same boat. I had an earlier attempt at a taper this autumn but it didn't work because my partner got made redundant and we had some other bad news in the same week, so I found I was a bit tearful and stopped the taper.

I'm on Day 2 of alternating 30mg and 40mg tablets, so too early to feel much difference I think. I'm not quite sold on the alternate days idea, but there isn't another way to get 35mg in your system, as they don't do 5mg tabs! (Why don't they???! Missed opportunity)

Anyway, I'll keep you posted on how things go. Hope everyone is doing well!

X

Re: Tapering off Citalopram 40mg

only got a minute, but can't you split a tablet. Alternating doesn't seem a good idea.
    take care
    Sxx

You can cut the pills instead. If you want to be even more accurate, weigh them with a jewellery scale (a couple of quid off Ebay) but remember to weigh the whole pill first since the weight of the tablet will include fillers & binders.

I'm not sold on the alternate days idea either. Whilst it will destabilise the dose slightly when you finally go to the new dose you will go through the same full reduction and full adjustment rather than topping up every other day.

you can get 10mg, taper slowly as slowly as poss. Why are you stopping?
    Sxx

I hear what you're saying. I'm giving it a go on the alternate days and seems to be going ok for now but I have some scales on order too.

Just a quick update in case it's helpful for other future people. I've been on alternating dose for two weeks or so now and after an initial few days of feeling more anxious, have now settled right down and feeling really good on an average of 35mg. When Christmas and its assorted nightmares are out of the way, I'll go down to 30mg per day.

Another quick update. I'm now taking 30mg per day and have been for two weeks. After a rough week, which I think was withdrawal and Christmas family stuff, I feel really good on it. Will stick at this dose for a few weeks just to make sure all is well and then try to go down to 25mg.

I'm glad your feeling better and tapering is going well. I can't comment on tapering as I chose cold turkey and it's working ok for me. I'm not suggesting you do the same as we are all different and our individual circumstances will vary. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    I'm not sold on the alternate days idea either. Whilst it will destabilise the dose slightly when you finally go to the new dose you will go through the same full reduction and full adjustment rather than topping up every other day.
    Tbh I have used the alternate days system quite a few times when coming off meds and it seemed to work really well for me.

I have no scientific basis for this, I just know that for me it made life easy.

Thanks! It seems to be going OK so far. I guess the half-life of Citalopram is such that it evens out without too many peaks and troughs. Anyway - so far so good - we'll see....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information