Thread: I'm new and want some advice

I'm new and want some advice

Hi
    Firstly my name is Annabelle and I am 15 years old. I live in Scotland

The first time I thought I had anxiety was with my friend. He has been diagnosed with anxiety and depression for about 3 years now. He has helped me understand "what's wrong with me" and also how to cope. I now think (with his help) that I may have a case of GAD. Now I'm at the stage where I have accepted I need to get some help, but I don't know how to. I know I can go to the doctor and they will help me, but I am scared of looking really weak and getting embarrassed. I am also afraid of getting a panic attack in the doctors and running out.

The other thing I am struggling with is telling my mum that I think I have anxiety. When I tried to tell her before, she told me to stop being pathetic. I want some help and support through this. I know I can make doctor's appointments myself and go myself and they wont tell my parents but what if they give me medication- how do I explain that?

Any advice anyone can give me would be fantastic

Thank you

Welcome to No More Panic!

Hiya Mini_Guthrie11 and welcome to NMP

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Re: I'm new and want some advice

Welcome to NMP
    aw i remember when i was in your boat, my mum didn't really understand at the time but i guess after i had so many breakdowns she realized it was actually more serious than she thought? going to the doctors certainly wouldn't make you seem weak in fact dealing with it and accepting it makes you more stronger as you said you can make an appointment yourself and if you wind up with medication you could just simply tell her you need it to function? i'm sure she'd understand eventually mine did,
    if you need any advise or someone to talk to i'm always here to try and help

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn."

"Be gentle with yourself, you're doing the best you can"

Thank you Aiden01.

Its just when I tried to tell her a few months ago she told me I was being pathetic so I now just try to hide the anxiety away from her. Its very difficult for me to make an appointment by myself due to the fact we don't live near the doctor and she would have to take me there and if I didn't tell her why I needed to go she wouldn't take me if that makes sense

That is a pickle
    Is there nobody else you could to take you? or maybe try explaining to her? mine took me in the end just to prove me wrong which in the end she didn't haha x

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn."

"Be gentle with yourself, you're doing the best you can"

Parents often underestimate these things like this :( They just ignore it and when it gets worse on their children, they realize then.
    I'm sorry for you but you should express yourself more to your parents. Tell them how do you feel, be honest and serious.

Hi Annabelle,

Mental illness can be difficult for people to understand. "What have you got to be anxious about?", "You've got nothing to be sad about." are very common responses.

Can you take public transport or get somebody else to take you? I think it is important that you go so you can start to help yourself. Once diagnosed hopefully your mum may be a touch more sensitive, although you may have to explain in some detail what is happening to you so that she can understand.

If your mum is the only way you can get to the doctors then a little white lie might help. Tell her something else is wrong. Do you have many physical symptoms with the anxiety, you could use one of those as the main reason for the visit.

Thanks for all your help everyone

Still no far forward but I realise tonight that I cant keep this a secret anymore but I just don't know how to go forward from here.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mini_Guthrie11 View Post
    Thank you Aiden01.

Its just when I tried to tell her a few months ago she told me I was being pathetic so I now just try to hide the anxiety away from her. Its very difficult for me to make an appointment by myself due to the fact we don't live near the doctor and she would have to take me there and if I didn't tell her why I needed to go she wouldn't take me if that makes sense
    This is tragic. And your anxiety is most likely associated with your mother's attitudes. My daughter was the most important person in the world to me, I would have done anything for her, but her psychosis did not let her to share with me the true horror of her life. I wish she had been able to do that, and i wish your Mother was a loving person. My own mother was a narcissist, more interested in herself than anyone else, especially me, so I know how much anxiety a kid can have from such a parent. Do you have other relatives you can trust? Is there a teacher you trust? Do you have guidance counselors in your school system? Do you attend church and have a pastor or youth pastor? Think about the adults in your life who can offer you validation and the attention and help you deserve.

Does your school have a guidance office or a counsellor you can try and speak with?

I'm so sorry you don't feel the support you want from your family. Mental health is difficult for others to understand sometimes. Those who (gratefully) don't have it, have a hard time getting a grasp on what it can mean and the impact it can have on people.

I hope you find a way to communicate with her soon and that she is receptive to it.

-Dora

Thread Information