Thread: New rx---need to know what to expect

New rx---need to know what to expect

Hi everyone. I tried Zoloft for anxiety and mild depression but it made me feel flat and entirely too anxious to continue. Trying prozac for the first time ever and I'm scared. I've scanned all the responses here, and elsewhere on the internet and yet again I'm wondering if it's worth it to take. I'm so afraid of panic attacks and feeling like I'm going crazy. Also, I'm on a low dose of Ativan for panic and sleeplessness already, so, to think the fluoxetine could cause even more panic and insomnia is craziness. I suffer from health anxiety and I really cannot stand it when my meds to remedy this end up causing the very symptoms I'm already panicking over. ARG. Someone have anything positive to say about it? And can I still have drinks once a month or so on it? Thanks!

Re: New rx---need to know what to expect

AD's like Zoloft or Prozac will take 4-6 weeks to kick in and take effect, many people suffering from anxiety have got better with the help of this medication. In the first few weeks increased anxiety is a possible side effect but should clear. Try to get through the first few weeks so they can take effect.

Drinking whilst on these is not recommended, but then again drinking with anxiety full stop is not ideal.

Hi Minivil, I too am now on Fluoxetine and I have got a thread started detailing day by day actions etc, but these meds do take time to work so give them chance and I do have a glass or two of wine in the evenings as it help to wind me down for bedtime.

You have to see what works for you, certainly too much alcohol is bad in more ways than one, but I do know people who are on this med and drink a lot, they seem ok, but who know.

www.headmeds.org.uk for more advise.

I've had anxiety for the past few years now along with panic attacks. My anxiety became really bad a few months ago and I've been on Fluoxetine since August this year. I'm currently on 40mg and I have to say it has helped me in regards to my low mood and anxiety. I do sometimes still have anxiety but it's no where near as bad as what it use to be. It does take a good 4-6 weeks for the side effects and medication to kick in, however I only really started to see a big improvement about 8 weeks in. The side effects I only had was extreme tiredness which took a few weeks to ease off, increased anxiety for a few weeks and also weight loss. I've gone from being an emotional wreck worrying about everything under the sun to somewhat of a normal human being with less anxiety so the medication has really helped me. The medication has also helped me to be able to deal with stressful situations which would normally cause anxiety. Try to think of the benefits that this medication could give you say in a few months time.

Hey. I suffer with anxiety and fluoxetine has always worked really well for me. I am on 20mg. And yes, you can drink on it but just keep in mind that drinking a lot makes anxiety worse the next day! I will say my anxiety always gets worse at first when starting the tablets, but stay with it and you will see the benefits x

Thread Information