Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colonoscopy on Nov. 19 - Major anxiety!

Colonoscopy on Nov. 19 - Major anxiety!

Hey folks,

Just posting up about my upcoming colonoscopy on Nov. 19th. Very fearful as I did have a positive sample (out of 3) when I did the fecal occult screening.

My gp has been supportive and says it could be a variety of causes but I can't help but be afraid. I do have a sensitive stomach and really want to be checked out for IBS as many times there is undigested food when I do the deed (including red pieces that freak me out).

Hard to get through a day at this point and a couple times had to take an Atavan to calm me down.

For those that have gone through it ... how long does recovery take? Do you usually get the results at that time?

Thanks for listening.

Re: Colonoscopy on Nov. 19 - Major anxiety!

Hi, has your gp said what he thinks the cause is? I turned 50 this year and am expecting my bowel testing kit very soon. I am really anxious about the results. My gums bleed a fair bit so I'm sure that mine will come back positive.

I have noticed red things in my stool over the past few years which I assume and hope is food related. I understand your fear, I'm sure I will need to go through with a colonoscopy at some time in the near future.

Hi Frankc

I have had a colonoscopy nearly 3 weeks ago and from my experience for the last 3 months were IBS symptoms including red smears on tp. Here in the UK the GI will give you the initial results of the colonoscopy after the procedure on the day and biopsies are most certainly always taken whilst they are in there for a diagnosis if there is no apparent reason for symptoms, recovery is within 24 hours, i would say the 24hr prep before the procedure is not uncomfortable just inconvenient.

Luckily my procedure was normal and 5 biopsies taken, the results of the initial biopsies were no significant abnormalities but I have to see the GI again on Dec 1st to discuss them in more detail.

I was severely anxious, you can see my posts on the site but I am so glad I had the procedure, huge weight lifted, even though my sysmptoms are slightly better, not 100% normal I have faith that ive had the procedure and they saw nothing sinister

I am sure all will be well. Let us know what the outcome is

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
    Hi, has your gp said what he thinks the cause is? I turned 50 this year and am expecting my bowel testing kit very soon. I am really anxious about the results. My gums bleed a fair bit so I'm sure that mine will come back positive.

I have noticed red things in my stool over the past few years which I assume and hope is food related. I understand your fear, I'm sure I will need to go through with a colonoscopy at some time in the near future.
    Hi, there were no specific suggestions provided by my gp. Just said it could be a number of things including a false positive. He did suggest IBS when I last saw him.

Good luck.

Colonoscopies are not bad at all. I get one every year as I have a bowel disease. My gi gives his general impression but I have to wait a while for in depth analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay8010 View Post
    Hi Frankc

I have had a colonoscopy nearly 3 weeks ago and from my experience for the last 3 months were IBS symptoms including red smears on tp. Here in the UK the GI will give you the initial results of the colonoscopy after the procedure on the day and biopsies are most certainly always taken whilst they are in there for a diagnosis if there is no apparent reason for symptoms, recovery is within 24 hours, i would say the 24hr prep before the procedure is not uncomfortable just inconvenient.

Luckily my procedure was normal and 5 biopsies taken, the results of the initial biopsies were no significant abnormalities but I have to see the GI again on Dec 1st to discuss them in more detail.

I was severely anxious, you can see my posts on the site but I am so glad I had the procedure, huge weight lifted, even though my sysmptoms are slightly better, not 100% normal I have faith that ive had the procedure and they saw nothing sinister

I am sure all will be well. Let us know what the outcome is
    Thanks for your reply Kay. That information is very helpful. I am happy for you that the outcome was positive. I just can't see my anxiety improving until I get this behind me (no pun intended lol)

On Monday of next week, the prep process begins with some dietary restrictions, then the laxatives followed by the 24hr prep with something called PegLyte.

I will post updates for sure. It's just nice having some company on this journey.

---------- Post added at 16:00 ---------- Previous post was at 15:58 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Capercrohnj View Post
    Colonoscopies are not bad at all. I get one every year as I have a bowel disease. My gi gives his general impression but I have to wait a while for in depth analysis.
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. It definitely provides me with some comfort. I wish you all the best with your health and recovery.

Oh undigested food isn't uncommon. Our bodies can't digest insoluble fiber.

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 17:00 ----------

Thanks! I'm actually having an MRI tomorrow to evaluate a Crohn's complication tomorrow in order to determine if it can be surgically corrected (I am really hoping it can!). I'm super anxious about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Capercrohnj View Post
    Oh undigested food isn't uncommon. Our bodies can't digest insoluble fiber.

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 17:00 ----------

Thanks! I'm actually having an MRI tomorrow to evaluate a Crohn's complication tomorrow in order to determine if it can be surgically corrected (I am really hoping it can!). I'm super anxious about it.
    Positive vibes inbound. Hope you get good news.

How are you feeling FrankC? just checking in

How did it go?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information