Thread: Professional and on Citalopram

Professional and on Citalopram

Hi
    I'm reaching out as I don't know who to ask for advice, my doctor cant tell me what I should do so I 'm looking for some advice from fellow professionals, and even better professional women who are looking for a relationship.

I'm 36 and have been on 20mg Cit for the last 5 years, succeeded in my career and found myself in a loving relationship in which I decided to reduce the dosage to 10mg. The weaning off took its toll (It took 4 months incrementally) on the relationship and I am now single, and finding my job a struggle, added stress, I'm feeling the pressure big time.

I don't know whether this is because I'm low from the relationship breakdown or that I just cannot cope on 10mg in my normal life, which is frightening.

I don't know weather to go back on 20mg, cope better at work, where I'll be happier, meet someone at my 100%, then have to deal with the after effects of weaning off again. Or stay on 10mg and try and find other mechanisms for dealing with the anxiety, where I will probably mess up any new relationship because I am anxious/worried.

in an ideal world I'd like to cope on 10, feel relaxed and happy, meet someone and wean myself off Cit to have a family.

Any advice at all would be amazing, as I don't know what to do or who to ask.
    thank you x

Re: Professional and on Citalopram

Hi! I feel you and can't give advice, just wanted to say that I am afraid to be in the same boat! I am at 20mg and feeling good but numb and a little fat. ha. Anyways I am ready to start getting off this medication and have an appointment with my doctor next Tuesday and I am terrified that my work life will suffer and if I will become a big blubbering cry baby again and drive my boyfriend away.

Anyways, I think you have to decide what is most important FOR YOU. Right now, I feel like it is time to get off the medicine (been on it for 18 months for anxiety). I feel like I am so mellow and complacent on the medicine. I need to feel some feelings so I know if I really do want to continue with the status quo of my life. I also want to think about having baby soon and I don't want to be on medication for that. Good Luck!!!

A few years ago I had a complete breakdown which resulted in me being put on cit! I hit rock bottom but it helped me out majorly.. about a year later I came off. About 9 months after I weaned myself off under huge amounts of work pressure and studying to get into uni as a mature student I found myself in the same hole! Long story short- I have come to realise that under pressure I can't cope without medication. It saved me (alongside other healthy habits)! And I am very thankful. But going back on it the second time has been much tougher and I've needed a higher dosage. I don't think there's anything wrong to try going back up until your life calms down again? I want to stay on it for as long as I can! There's no way I'm doing this recovery a third time! There's no shame in medication- and if it makes you feel stronger, happier and more confident I say go for it. With regards to starting a family I'm sure there are alternative medications to try whilst pregnant. Maybe speak to your doctor. Hope you feel better soon xxx

Hi! I took Sertraline during both my pregnancies. My children have had no problems at all. They are perfectly normal and now 10 and 9. I would speak to your doctor about maybe changing to a medication that you can take during pregnancy. In saying that, my GP told me to stop taking it, but the psychiatrist told me it was fine to continue taking it. So maybe seek advice from a psychiatrist.

i am also struggling and have decided to go back on to citalopram. It would probably be better to increase your dose until everything stabilises. I wish i had done that and not swapped.
    P.S my daughter is not full term with her baby and she has taken 20mg citalopram throughout her pregnancy under instruction from her gp and midwife. Baby is absolutely fine.

Thread Information