Thread: Heart palps, reflux and antibiotics

Heart palps, reflux and antibiotics

I think it might all be related?

I always get the odd heart palp. Sometimes I will go weeks without having any and then I will get a few a day.

I recently started antibiotics for a bacterial infection and they are like horse pills. I am useless at taking pills and these ones are triggering my reflux it seems. They kind of get stuck in my throat and I can feel them breaking up and I get heartburn. Nothing unusual for me, I've been like this with medication since I was a kid.

My heart palps have been worse since I've been on the tablets. Im pretty sure they are often worse when my reflux is playing up.

Google tells me it's not related, but I'm pretty sure it can be?

Re: Heart palps, reflux and antibiotics

Yeah I was taking some antibiotics for a ear infection about three weeks ago. My GERD wasn't so bad before I started taking the antibiotics and I could get by with just a tums every once in a while, but man, I noticed when I started taking the antibiotics my GERD was really acting up, *sigh* so I had to start taking my prescription PPI again.

So I guess what happens in relation to what they say about the antibiotics killing off some the good stomach bacteria, affects those of us more who have acid reflux/GERD which seems to make it twice as worse for us.

Which relates to the next thing, the connection between the gut and brain and the heart. The way I understand it, is because of a nerve called the vagus nerve. They say this nerve is like a bio loop feedback system. So whatever is going on in the stomach at the time (acid reflux, bloating, etc), seems to also irritate the vagus nerve, which then sends haywire information to the brain, which then causes the heart to palp with irregular heartbeats.

Anyway, here's a link to a article I found years ago, that can explain it better then I can. I don't know how much stock to take into it, but it sure in the hell makes a lot of sense to me and I'm beginning to suspect it's true.

https://healdove.com/disease-illness...omach-to-Bloat

Re: Heart palps, reflux and antibiotics

Very interesting link. Thank you for posting it and for your reassurance.

I had a bad night again. I had three palps in 10 minutes and one last one two hours later. I had just taken my antibiotic and laid down in bed. Got the palps and then really bad heartburn. I know it was heartburn because I was burping up acid.

So yes, it does seem connected doesn't it? I know I don't get half as many palps as some people but I am phobic about my heart like many other people here so for me they scare me senseless.

Thread Information