Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: the reality of pet ownership please

the reality of pet ownership please

Hi, we've all heard of the benefits of pet ownership for the average person, but I was wondering what is the REALITY of living with a pet when you suffer from anxiety disorders? I would like to hear about personal experiences both good and bad, if a pet actually does really help or not.

We are considering a small dog (papillon size) as I cannot go out very far yet (whilst also being a companion). If anyone has a small dog - are they safe to go into parks where there are big dogs, tied outside shops, etc? If I think it will get gobbled up by a bigger animal I will be too scared to take it out - they look so fragile, but I cannot walk a bigger dog yet!!!

Re: the reality of pet ownership please

Many years ago myself and my other half at that time decided to have a dog, and we went to a rescue centre. We had in mind a large Alsatian type dog but when we were at the centre we saw this pathetic little chihuahua which had been so neglected by its previous owner it had lost half its fur, had a leg at a funny angle where it had been broken, and was shivering with almost uncontrollable fear. We knew immediately we had to give this "thing" a loving home.

Now being a bloke it was a bit of a shock walking the block with a chihuahua not an alsation, and the studded collar didn't really improve things (on the dog that is, not me!).

But I can tell you from experience, little dogs have some great advantages: You can pick them up and put them under your arm, great if the dog gets frightened on the walk. They fit on the sofa really well, in fact they will squeeze in any spot if you let them on the furniture. They're easier to groom and keep clean. They still bark when the doorbell rings so you have some security. They're easier to pooper scoop after (smaller 'presents'). Vet bills tend to be a little less, as some medications are done by weight. Easy to walk even if not lead trained - they won't pull you along.

Although you'll still need common sense when walking them (so I wouldn't leave it off the lead in the park if bigger dogs were running around) you'd be surprised how "bossy" small dogs can be. Some will still quite happily charge at anything ten times their size, and in my old house, the smallest dog wore the trousers. In a dog's mind, size doesn't mean anything.

Great post Ingenious - the studded collar sounds excellent!

I'm also considering getting a dog so other people's experiences will be great to hear.

Pip

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi ingenious, thanks for sharing. Those are some good advantages. Plus we only have a small house and garden. It made me lol about bossiness of some small dogs though - I never thought of that. x

I adopted my jack russell cross from the dog's trust last June. She is definitely the best decision I've ever made. I've gone from someone who could hardly go out to someone who goes out for hours on end. My dog has her own share of issues though. She is fear aggressive and initially suffered with anxiety. She is slowly improving but I can't let her off the lead because she would fight other dogs. Small dogs are really quite tough, they don't care how big the other dog is. Another thing she's helped me with is my OCD. Suddenly dirt and germs weren't so worrying when I had to pick up several piles of poo each day.
    My house is a lot messier than it used to be, it doesn't smell as nice either. My bank account has less money in it and my leather sofa's are scratched but I couldn't be happier

Hi jackie, when I read your post it made me so happy. This is what I am after...to be able to have a reason to make myself go out everyday and a little further whilst having a little companion to be with. I also have ocd and I am glad you explained how she helped you there too. I loved reading your post x
    Last edited by little wren; 25-03-12 at 12:30. Reason: typing error

Don't forget the financial costs involved with a pet as well

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi little wren
    Good answers here ...........and good on you for asking before you get a wee dog .

I have had dogs all my life and the benefit is tremendous .
    They give you such support and comfort .
    A dog must get exercise whether small or large and they MAKE you leave the house to walk them if responsible owner .
    In my darkest agrophobic days I held onto that leash for dear life wearing sunglasses [dont ask why I still dont why ]........but Megs well being forced me out and I found it helped to have a lead to hang on to . Think my nickname round here was Aggie Phobic
    Even having to get up and let her out or feed her helped my inward distress to focus on a furry friend for a while .

Nic is right though that finance is a crucial part of decision.
    There are unforeseen vet bills and injections etc .and food costs a bit of course and toys and bonios

The joy and love you will get back will be so worth it in my eyes. I miss my old gal so much .

Hope you find an animal companion to help you .

Mind forget cream carpets and clean floors for ever .
    And never ever leave your best shoes out .or the tv remote at dog level .

good luck !!!!
    snow x

hi i got my dog 15 months ago when he was 12 weeks old... from my experience its been the best thing ive ever done. not only is he my pet but he's also my best friend too ... their have been days in the past where im too full of anxiety to walk him so ive had to get my mum to walk him instead... but now i dont care if i 'dont feel up 2 it' i still take him for his walks because it gives me the sense of a achievement and its so rewarding... i have some large quite fields near to where i live and spend at least an hour a day walking around the fields. on a sunny day like today its just wonderful. dogs/puppies need a lot of attention, patience and most of all a lot of love. if you decide that you will get a dog i hope that it will help with the anxiety like it has with me. take care. lee

A DOG REALLY IS A MAN'S BEST FRIEND!!!

you've heard the benefits of a smaller dog but here are some other things to consider:
    bitches are easier because they're not so aggresive and don't need to stop to sniff and wee as much as a dog (they'll need to be spayed at some point though).
    poodles, poodle crosses don't shed their hair everywhere - I'm sure there are other breeds that don't either but I don't know which ones.
    A dog is a dog and must be treated as such. mine have always walked off lead so they can interact with other dogs, keeping them on a lead all the time will make them aggresive. I've never had a problem with bigger dogs approaching my two little ones, one is very friendly and the other one is timid and stays away.
    I'm besotted with my dogs, they give us so much love and we're always laughing at their antics. x

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information