Thread: Is there anything to lift your mood?

Is there anything to lift your mood?

Hello

My b/f is on day 8 of taking 30mg if Mirtazipine. He tried Venlafaxine which he reacted badly too.

He had a good day yesterday, almost back to his old self but then this morning, very bad anxiety and this afternoon very very low.

Is there anything I can do to help him until the AD kick in?

Anything to lift his mood? Hate seeing him like this...it really upsets me :(

Cheers in advance for any replies.

Re: Is there anything to lift your mood?

He was so bad last night, crying so much and just felt so hopeless

He keeps saying that he wants to go to hospital because when he feels so low he is scared of what he might do.

I wish i could help him

Hi there, sorry things are tough at the moment. It will take some time for the meds to kick in, minimum of 2 weeks usually, so he needs to hang on in there but obviously keep in touch with his GP if things get really tough. He has you for support, has he thought about counselling? Its been a life saver for me. If he is feeling rough, try and take his mind off things, watch a film, go out for a long walk together, that sort of thing.

Anthony J. D'Angelo

Thank you for the reply.

I try to get him to do things, he says when he is anxious doing things helps but when he is so low all he can do is stay on the bed crying :(

He has homecare at the moment too, as they are only short term I think this will soon end so just don't know what to do. He has tried Hypnotherapy. He doesn't want to go to talk about it as he doesn't think this will help.

I am thinking CBT? think this will help?

Dear Loops it sounds as if he is feeling very depressed. When you feel like this it is very difficult to become motivated to do anything. Any sort of effort is just too much to contemplate. If the homecare team think that he might act out some of his thoughts then hospital in the short term might be the best place for him. I am taking mirtazapine 45mg and lithium and I remember the mirt taking at least four to six weeks to kick in. In the short term it might be too long for him to wait. He is also taking Olanzapine which should take the edge off his anxiety and that could be increased if his doctor thinks that is a good thing? Hospital would provide 'asylum' for him in the short term and he could be observed and his meds reviewed. I know that others have suggested therapy and he might just be too ill at the moment to be very receptive for that. See how he goes and voice any concerns to the homecare team. Hospital might be the best option for him if he is a danger to himself as you will not be able to care for him 24/7. EJ.

Thank you for replying.
    It just seems that the Mirtazapine are making him worse at the moment but I know that this can happen to start with.
    He has woke this monring with feelings of going mad and racing thoughts. Quite scary! He has taken a Diazipam and said he just wants to lie on his bed all day.
    Do you remember feeling any worse to start with?
    xx

It's very tough for sure... I had an horrendous month on Citalopram, no sleep, tremondous anxiety and panic... Had panic attacks daily for 2 weeks!

Moved on to mirtazapine which was working well until a few weeks ago when my mood dropped off again and anxiety came back. After 5 months on mirt they tried me on zoloft... Nightmare time again, extreme anxiety and insomnia again! I am now on nothing, going down the nutritional supplement & herbal root now with st john wort, 5 HTP and ashwagandha... At least until I've had my referral to a physciatrist.

One tip I can give is try the CBT approach, particularly mindfullness, this will help if practiced daily for mood and anxiety.

Good luck!

Thread Information