Thread: Diazepam 10mgs self medication

Diazepam 10mgs self medication

Im in a terrible situation possibly involving loss of children and a court case. If I wake up panicky or feel BP rising I take propronalol 40 mgs which helps.
    However the meetings with social workers Im finding hard to cope and always on verge of collapsing and and if it ever came to court I dont think I could handle it.
    Ive got some diaz 10mgs through a friend to try and help but not sure which dose to try when One of these events is coming u/. No point saying advice must come from a doc because his response was to ask if I had the number of the Samaritans and medication was ruled out.. If docs wont help we are forced to do something ourselves.

Re: Diazepam 10mgs self medication

I'm not quite sure what you are asking here?
    Yes the diazepam will probably help..... assuming it is actually diazepam - you never know with drugs from a 'friend'.

Obviously it is not a good idea to self medicate and it is a class C drug - illegal to have without a prescription, so you need to be careful. Your friend is effectively (in the eyes of the law) a drug dealer for supplying it to you without a prescription and could get into serious trouble if found out.

Please consider getting a second opinion from another doctor or going back to your own GP with a friend/family member and insisting you need help for this anxiety.

If you are going to take it then cut the pill in half or a quarter. Take the smallest amount possible to see what the effects are first.

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

I totally agree with the above post except one thing... do not take this drug without it being prescribed by your own Dr!!!!

You meand the same doctor who told me to ring the Samaritans and then takes massive backhanders for trying to force statins down my throat? No thanx.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryt99 View Post
    You meand the same doctor who told me to ring the Samaritans and then takes massive backhanders for trying to force statins down my throat? No thanx.
    Try a different one.

I have almost no experience with benzos but was prescribed Valium (generic) 5mg just a few days ago. I've taken two doses so far -- the first night I took the prescribed five mgs and didin't notice anything aside from I slept very well. The other day I was feeling rather terrible so I took ten mgs (shame, I know). I felt very tingly and somewhat relaxed within ten minutes, which surprised me since I've read it usually takes an hour to have its full effect. I thought I would be gone in another twenty minutes.

I wasn't. In fact, the tingling wore off pretty quickly. I was awake for a few more hours without noticing anything. I did sleep well again that night, though, even after taking it hours before bedtime.

I've read a lot that Valium is a very mild benzo and I believe it. I think for people like me who are experiencing a lot of anxiety it isn't going to have much effect aside from a sleep aid. I imagine you could be in the same position. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with others so I can't recommend any.

They're dependant forming and will end up causing more harm than good if you start self medicating. It's also a pretty high dose, you normally get prescribed 2 mg to take 3 to 4 times a day to help with anxiety and/or depression and are normally only prescribed for 7-14 days max. If you are having a hard time and feel the panic is too much, try speaking to a diffrent doctor to see wether he would prescribe you a mild dose of something. Also, the diazepam may interact with your other medications. Long story short: this is a bad idea.

If it is diazepam, it will likely help you at 2.5 or 5mg, but I would try other things first or get them through a GP - at least then you'll know they are 'legit'. Why not have a few cups of chamomile tea and see if that helps? It hits the same receptors as diazepam (gaba) - and has no side effects. Sure it won't be as potent but it just might take the edge off.

Hi My advice would be to find another doctor Diazapam is only habit forming if you regularly take it i have Diazapam but only ever use in emergencies,a lot of Doctors are getting sniffy about prescribing it,but in my view in the long run some short term help could save the NHS money in the long run,especially if you are as anxious as to start collapsing (could end up in an admission).

At the moment i am on Citalopram,Campral (camprosate),and when i need it Diazapam 10/5mg tabs.

Your doctor does not sound like one i would like to have ring the samaritans is hardly something i would like to be told as good as they are,you need some sort of short term medical intervention by a GP who understands mental health issues..

Good Luck.

Richard.

Thread Information