Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Side effects

Side effects

After much thinking it over I finally changed from Ticylic (Clomipramine) to SSRI (Prozac). I changed last Friday that’s 6 days now and am feeling really rotten, shakes more anxiety, belly ache and runs and headaches, much more than usual. The biggest worry is I have felt a bit of bad depression, I never really suffered depression often I suffer panic, anxiety and phobias. I know this anxiety gets me too feel real down in mood but not bad depression. Is it a side effect of starting SSRIs that can do these things? Thanks Vernon

hi vernon sorry you are having a hard time of it
    over the years i have taken / been prescribed three lots of ssri medication the latest is cipramil - on evey occasion i had the same and similar side effects to those you are experiencing they usually last for about two weeks in my case - but do get less and less frequent during those two weeks. i have also been on prozac although it didnt suit me i have friends whos lives have changed dramaticaly for the good whilst taking it - keep smiling mate
    xx david

Blossom. I understand how you are feeling Vernon, when one changes to SSRI the first couple of weeks are a bit tough, but the side effects usually pass, it takes awhile to get used to the new med, and I was taken off Anafranil after 7 years, and put straight onto Seroxat, which I took for 3 years, then they were stopped abruptly. The depression I think is us keep worrying about how we feel on the new med, I am the same, our thoughts are our biggest enemy. I am on Cipralex and it took a few weeks to get into the system, I had extra anxiety, Panics anf felt down, but stick with it vern, you should feel better shortly.
    I still worry about changing meds, and think most of us do.
    How do we stop the worry, I have been told sxo many times, its that I am doing it to myself. best wishes from Blossomxx

Hi Vernon

I had similar side effects when starting Cipralex. They had faded by the time I had been on them for 2 weeks.

Try to stick with it.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

thanks all i feel a little better now usualy do later in the day, and i have just came back from shrink its such a long way from here and a long walk after parking, that builds me up too. thamks Vernon

Hi Vern,

It's normal to feel a bit down at first on SSRIs. I had the same thing with Cipralex. Give it a week or two and I'm sure you'll feel a lot better!! Take care.

Sarah

a week now sarah and its hell. at times i think i cant take anymore to scared to do anything, besides the physical side effects. is this normal in the first week or 2?

Hi Vernon,

Unfortunately yes it is normal for the first weeks. I remember those weeks being worse than the time that happened that made me decide to try out Prozac.

It does settle down .

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
    - Albert Einstein.

thanks meg, thanks all

Hi Vernon

I know how hard it is, but honestly look ahead and think of the benefits you will reap once the side effects have lessened.

It will be a tough couple of weeks but we will all help you through it.

Love Sal xxxxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information