Thread: Irrational thoughts - how can you stop them?

Irrational thoughts - how can you stop them?

Still freaking out about wearing & holding my glasses during my mammogram and can't get rid of the thought that the metal in them may have affected the x ray machine and skewed my results (which were all clear by the way!) Why can I not accept this was not a problem and move on...! I even rang the breast clinic to check and they said plenty of ladies wear glasses, jewellery etc. when having a mammogram, but my concern was the fact that I held them in my hands whilst they took the pictures!! I think they thought I was mad - maybe I am, certainly feels like I am losing the plot - any advice would be really appreciated. I know I've posted about this and apologise but it really is driving me nuts.

Re: Irrational thoughts - how can you stop them?

I would think something like that would be more likely to create a disturbance that indicates a false positive (ie a problem) as opposed to a negative. So, even if it WAS an issue, it's all clear.

That said, as long as you didn't have the glasses/metal on your breasts, I don't think it matters.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Jane, were you wearing any rings on your fingers when having the mammogram? If you applied the same criteria as with your glasses, wouldn't this also "skew" the results..?

Your mammo was normal. Celebrate the fact that you are in the clear and many women are not so fortunate? Do not let your HA win and sabotage what should be really good news for you.

Thanks Pulisa - I wasn't wearing any jewellery at all AND I have been told that there is no problem wearing jewellery and I'm sure plenty of women wear their wedding rings, watches etc! So, yes you are right and I have been thinking this myself i.e. what difference would it make holding glasses to wearing rings! Just need to accept the rationale and move on, so hard to do!

---------- Post added at 11:49 ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 ----------

Thanks for your reply Poppy but I'm afraid I don't understand what are saying - sorry am confused.

I have had a mammo and only had to remove my earrings and nose ring. I was able to keep my rings on my fingers so you are all good! Congrats on the good news!

Quote Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
    Thanks Pulisa - I wasn't wearing any jewellery at all AND I have been told that there is no problem wearing jewellery and I'm sure plenty of women wear their wedding rings, watches etc! So, yes you are right and I have been thinking this myself i.e. what difference would it make holding glasses to wearing rings! Just need to accept the rationale and move on, so hard to do!

---------- Post added at 11:49 ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 ----------

Thanks for your reply Poppy but I'm afraid I don't understand what are saying - sorry am confused.
    Sorry! I meant that it'd be more likely that the opposite would happen - for example, that your glasses caused a reflection or a disturbance that might show up as a "shadow" or a "glare" or something on the picture that might warrant further investigation, even though it was just a bad picture due to the glasses.

I can't see something like that flat-out erasing any questionable/concerning areas.

And like the others have said, if it were an issue they would have told you. They'd have probably made you redo it. I've had to redo X-rays before because I wasn't standing "just so".

Take the good news and run with it!
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Just a thought Chelleb and I know I'm overthinking again - why would you be asked to remove your earrings and nose ring if wearing jewellery isn't a problem when having a mammogram??!

I wore my wedding ring during my last mammogram and it didn't affect the results.

Thread Information