Thread: Bleach fumes

Bleach fumes

Hi all, hoping somebody is around to give me some
    Advice. My anxiety is starting to peak, I have felt it getting higher as the weeks are going by. After my daily clean in my kitchen tonight I was scrubbing away my sink with some bleach, I really got the smell of bleach up my nose, now my nose feels all irritated, my throat feels all dry, I feel shakey and I have also not long had the smell of burning come, it didn’t last long it has went now.

Of course I have googled and got that the fumes can be deadly and i have put myself into full blown panic mode, I don’t want to go to sleep in case I do r wake up for my three children
    Can anybody please help?

Re: Bleach fumes

Breathing in bleach for long periods of time in an enclosed space could hurt you; what it sounds like you did was a short exposure that gave you a little bit of a negative reaction (the body's natural way of telling you to get away!). I'm sure you are fine; people clean with bleach all the time.

It's a chemical solution and like many that can give you some sore throats. Just like breathing in paint fumes.

Like Katie says, prolonged exposure in a small area could be an issue (not like in a ventilated room) or stronger concentrations (which the public won't be sold as these are controlled chemicals for commerical use and not on sale to you, and those using it have to hold various certs) or if you add chemicals to change something to something that could be dangerous (which you aren't doing).

Thank you both, still here this afternoon!

Keep in mind, people have been scrubbing their bathtubs and bathroom sinks with bleach for decades, in small, unventilated spaces (the common bathroom). My mother did it, and so does my wife. They all live on to this day. A sore throat/ irritation is just what occurs at any level of exposure due to bleach. If you were in real danger, your throat would start to constrict and you would pass out. Trust me, you'd have to huff the bleach directly in high concentrations to do any damage.

Just as a side note, the real danger occurs when urine (or more specifically ammonia in urine) comes in contact with bleach and forms chlorine gas, which can kill in high quantities. So don't clean any toilets with bleach any time soon.

I have a bit of a chemical phobia (studying in chemistry labs in university was super high anxiety for me). So intellectually I can echo what everyone else has said - they are totally right. Emotionally? I'm on that roller coaster right there with ya. Glad you're feeling better!

Thread Information