Thread: White spot on one tonsil

White spot on one tonsil

Hi everyone, I'm trying to keep the panic at bay, but... I'm currently suffering from some sort of infection. It started with a fever, chills, and body aches. the following day my throat felt very sore and I suspected another dose of tonsillitis (second one this year!). I looked at my tonsils in the mirror to check and there was a whitish yellow spot on my right tonsil. It is NOT a tonsil stone - I used to get those as a kid and it's not that. It looks like a pool of pus/fluid/mucus? It can't be wiped off.
    My rational mind is telling me this is all connected with the infection - I went to the doctor today and she diagnosed bacterial pharyngitis. I have lost my voice almost completely - this is freaking me out too! - and have been coughing up phlegm.
    Has anyone had what I describe on their tonsil? I am trying so hard not to think it might be cancer as I haven't read anything that says that's even how it presents, but I am so scared because it hasn't started to go down yet after five days. Am I just being too impatient? I know I am very run down at the moment and have never had anything to make me feel this crappy and lose my voice for more than 24 hours.

Re: White spot on one tonsil

My wife just got over a similar bug but it hit her everywhere. Throat, sinuses, headache and both ends if you know what I mean. It took her a good two weeks to feel better.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thank you so much, Fishmanpa! This is the culmination of an awful year and I know I am very run down. I am supposed to be giving a performance of ghost stories in two days' time and I think I will have to cancel it and give everyone their money back, which is not helping my state of mind right now.
    I know I have had similar white spots on my tonsils before but i'm pretty sure they went away fairly quickly - this one is not. I am just really hoping it's a particularly virulent bug and I will try to be patient :(

Update: Voice still croaky so have had to cancel my performance, which is frustrating! This morning I broke a tooth! "On top of everything else!!" I thought. I was extremely fortunate that my dentist was able to fit me in as an emergency appointment, by which time I was a weepy mess. He was absolutely fantastic and offered to look at the spot on my tonsil. He was very thorough and in fact checked three times! He said it is nothing to worry about but to go back to my GP and get some more antibiotics if it doesn't go away. It may be my imagination but it does look a tiny bit less prominent than it was, so I hope it will go away on its own.
    Moral of this story - dentists are trained to look for mouth cancers so, if you have something that concerns you, your dentist might be the best person to go to. And if you have a good one, hang on to them! Nobody likes going to the dentist but they are people too and tend to be a bit more patient and thorough than the average harassed GP!

Thread Information