Thread: OCD and Propranolol

OCD and Propranolol

I have written on this forum last week about having a massive panic attack last week while away in Germany. I have been feeling like crap ever since.
    I also suffer from OCD (pure 'o') and it seems to have latched onto the anxiety feelings. I now find myself 'checking' how i feel and if i'm anxious it makes me feel more anxious. I know that i am stuck in the classic OCD thought loop but that doesn't help me, my anxiety just seems to get worse and worse, i'm now struggling to function due to the constant feeling in my chest and light head. I tried Propranolol last week after my panic attack and it made me feel strange, my question now is shall i go back on it for my OCD loop?
    Do you think it will help or should i try and ride out the anxiety caused by the OCD loop? The problem is that the thinking about how i feel seems to start automatically and its hard not to spiral out of control and into a horrible place. I have done CBT before and i know that the OCD will pass but its hard to just let the feels be there when they make me feel so nasty and weak.
    Please advice as i need help.

Re: OCD and Propranolol

finally someone knows how i feel, thats so good to hear im not the only one!
    i do exactly the same, its horrible i get myself into such a state i cant leave my house, because im obsessing with the way i feel, i get myself in such a state i have to leave my own living room even if i know the people who are in it ie, friends. At first my doc put me on tamazepan but was then told you can not use it in the long term because they are addictive and will cause another problem, she then asked my to try propranolol, when i first took it it made me feel strange too, so i told my doc i didnt like it and she put me back on the temazepan, when it was time to get a repeat from the doc my usual doc wasnt there so i saw another one, this doc insisted i tryed propranonol again but gave it to me in 10mg tablets so i could control how much i took, taking a lower dose has made me feel less strange, i have only been experimenting for a few days on it, but i found if i start with one and it doesnt help i can take another, which does seem to be helping a better than the last time, also i found it makes alot of difference if you eat straight after taking it and drink plenty of water, which also makes you feel less strange.
    i hope this helps you

Thread Information