Thread: Suffocating

Suffocating

Hi Everyone.

For the past week or so I've had the terrible sensation that I just can't get enough air within my lungs. When I inhale it feels like my lungs are filling only half way. So naturally I start to freak out and feel as if I'm gonna faint. I don't hyperventilate though. At this point I try even harder to inhale more and it just seems to get worse. Sound familiar to anyone?

The Magster.

Magster

If you're anxious then it's probably because your lungs actually get bigger needing more air to fill them - in prep for fight or flight ... so not short of breath but in reality needing more than usual.

If this persists you could get your Practice Nurse/ doctor to do a peak flow reading which will show you your Vital Lung capacity and demonstrate that your volumes are fine.

Meg

"Come to the edge."
    "We can't. We're afraid."
    "Come to the edge."
    "We can't. We will fall!"
    "Come to the edge."
    And they came.
    And he pushed them.
    And they flew.

- Guillaume Apollinaire

i know a friend who suffers badly from this. But she actually passes out for as long as a minute at times. She has been to the doctors many times and they did all the tests they can and eventually said it was panic attacks. At the moment, the thing that works is the old method of a brown paper bag to breathe into. This is so that the carbon dioxide is put back into the blood so you dont get the 'fainting' feeling, which happens due to too much carbon dioxide leaving the body in a small space of time. It can also help with hyperventalating.

Thank you guys for the replies. My mom suggested that I carry around a paper bag. I seem to be fine until I think about my breathing pattern. Now we all know how we can talk ourselves into anything, so of course, I can't breath. It's been going on for about two weeks now, everyday. I haven't gotten any panic attacks for about 7 months now, however, I can feel them slowly creeping up on me. So far I've stayed in control for the most part. I do see myself though trying to spend more time in the safe zone, my home. I'm starting to avoid doing certain things and not talk to certain people. I must not allow this to overcome me. I beat it last time w/out meds so I'd like to beat it this time just the same.

You can do it without meds, and I'm sure you'll beat this. You are aware of how it's affecting you, so you can take steps to sort it. At least you're not kidding yourself that it's "something else" stopping you doing what you want with your life. I think "breathing difficulties" are very common for anxious people, and quite distressing. Exercise is a good cure, cycling, jogging, anything to get those healthy lungs doing what they were made for!

Jim

I get this all the time - it is my main symptom of anxiety. I even wake up in the night not breathing properly. Dont worry though you wont stop for good!

Emily

Thread Information