Thread: Update on ESA situation

Smile Update on ESA situation

Hey guys, not been online much at all what with exams and stuff, but I just wanted to give you all a quick update on the ESA situation; I posted a while ago about my anxiety over the medical assessment.
    Feel free to move this if it's not in the right category, I couldn't figure out what to put it in!

So I had my medical assessment and had a long long wait to hear the reply, which was actually Hell. I rang up to see if I could be told and they gave me a dud number to a computer agency which was getting numerous calls about benefits as the DWP had been giving out their number. So I waited about two more weeks and I got a letter telling me I'd passed and was being put into their work related activity group.
    Personally, I don't feel I'm ready for work yet, but hey, at least I passed; and I'm not going to upset the apple cart.

Had a bit of a result though; I had my first meeting with the Reed people in regards to said activity group and they said that whilst they'd register me for the program, it was all changing and they saw no point in me attending it as they didn't think I could handle it without having a relapse, and that I wouldn't be hearing from them again regarding any more meetings or groups.
    Hence a lot of confusion as to whether this was going to affect my money going in, but she assured me it wouldn't and basically to cut a long story short, I could get in touch with them when I felt I was ready for work and they'd begin the work program. Sweet.

Big relief as it gives me some time to not stress about attending monthly meetings and work interviews while I sort out my crap; being referred to another psych so I'm now on a waiting list and seeing my GP to 'tide you over for medication and support.' (The support being nonexistent as she hasn't yet done f**k all and the medication being useless - which I've been telling them for a good year or so now - they just want to p*ss about changing my dosages up and down like a yoyo)

SO, I just want to say - if you're applying for this, and have read horror stories on the internet about the medical, and assessment and being denied and trials and whatnot, don't give up hope and not try to get it.
    I went in there expecting to fail, and I was advised by people who have links to the DWP that when they ask you about what you do during the day and how you feel etc etc to give them example of your worst day - not how you are on the day.
    Apparently, a lot of people say how they feeling at that moment, and their words get twisted, even if they do say 'This is a good day, it's not usually like this, etc etc'.
    I think I lucked out because I had a fairly nice assessor, which helped - but I'm thanking my lucky stars that I've got it - because I don't know how I'd have managed to cope if I hadn't.

Mel x

Re: Update on ESA situation

Yep, as with all form filling and assessment attending, it is all about how you answer the questions and then how the person assessing you interprets them!

Congrats anyway on a result - nice to hear of someone actually getting what they need from the system when suffering mental health issues.

xx

Re: Update on ESA situation

Very pleased for you Mel,

I have handed my form in and am waiting for a medical appointment ...... did you have to wait long?
    I am also worried as to what I'm going to be asked in the medical and that I get confused and give 'wrong' answers!
    On my worst days I get up at about 4am as have great trouble sleeping (tinnitus and anxiety) I very rarely go out as my Tinnitus has caused Hyperacusis which actually gives me pain in my ears from noises such as traffic, shops etc. I also cannot travel on public transport because of this. It causes great lack of concentration. When I have been out my friend has had to pull me out of the way of traffic as the noise has got me so disorientated, I panic and stepped onto the road when I shouldn't.
    My Dr has diagnosed Clinical Depression and GAD as well as my tinnitus.
    I know for a fact that I didn't fill in the form correctly as I was having a very bad time. I am very worried about it all, the slightest bit of help you could give me would be great.
    Thank You
    Joolz xx

Thread Information