Thread: 40mg Prozac after just 2 weeks Freaking out, Yikes.

40mg Prozac after just 2 weeks Freaking out, Yikes.

I was on 20 mg. of prozac for 20 plus years, whenever I'd have an anxiety relapse I'd go up to 40 along with something to sleep and a short course of benzos and therapy. 4 months ago I had a major relapse and my GP decided prozac was the cause of my anxiety and I should switch. Reluctantly a month later the psychiatrist who had not touched the prozac dosage switched my to Celexa. I spent a summer of hell on celexa and wound up with a different psychiatrist. After giving the celexa a fair shot of 11 weeks 5 weeks at 40 mg. He changed me back to prozac. Just finished 2nd week of prozac, got back genetic tests that said prozac is more effective for me than celxa (no surprise) and now he wants me to double up to 40. So freaked out by such a quick increase. I have klonopin up to 2mg a day for the switch and ambien for sleep, but I am so stressed out. Need some encouragement.

Re: 40mg Prozac after just 2 weeks Freaking out, Yikes.

Hey again! I agree with you. That's just way too soon for an increase. My doctor wanted me to increase to 40 after 4 weeks but I've held the course so far at 20. I would talk to him about holding out until the 20mg settles as you may have a bit of a more difficult time getting back on the fluox than before. I would come up with a plan with your psych about the increase but really voice your concerns about going up too fast. When the time comes to increase you can always go up to 30 as well.

Thanks for the reply he's already talking another increase in 4 weeks. Seems awfully quick to me. I think he's basing it on I just came off 40 mg. of celexa and have had limited side effects on the prozac so far. But damn, 40 so quickly.

Yep it does seem too quick. I would just talk to him about it and let him know that you're uncomfortable doing too much too fast.

Thread Information