Thread: Chest and Throat Irritation

Chest and Throat Irritation

Hi!

The past few days I've felt some twinges, irritation, burning sensation on my chest, mostly around the left pectoral area though it has also at times appeared on the right side. The pain comes and goes and seems to be most noticeable when I'm not doing anything else or worrying too much about it. There were also a few times where I had some difficulty breathing because my throat felt sticky (as well as some fatigue issues from morning to midday but I'm certain this is because I haven't slept much lately).

I think this is due to something along the lines of anxiety, tension, heartburn, gas, IBS, or bad posture but not exactly sure what's going on. Has anyone else experienced something similar and what was the cause of it?

I'm 31 years old and my most recent checkup was last October where I had my blood pressure taken, an ECG as well as blood tests done. There were no problems with any of them so I'm almost sure that this isn't serious.

But I still worry that something could have changed in the ensuing months. So just to make sure, if it was anything serious would the pain be different/more consistent?

Re: Chest and Throat Irritation

Hi,

I suffer from anxiety and have definitely felt chest tightness many times in the past, I did used to worry about it but now I recognise it as anxiety.

Currently I have throat irritation too, much like yourself. I feel like I have a lump in my throat and it can feel dry at times. I went to see my GP who said it was all to do with anxiety too, the medical term is globus hystericus and common with anxiety sufferers.

Reading up on globus hystericus, it does sound like what happened with my throat. Thank you for that!

Another thing that I forgot to mention before was that the past few nights I would suddenly wake up a few minutes after going to bed and my body would then experience an adrenaline rush of sorts with my heart beating (I think it's my heart, not too sure) and body shaking uncontrollably.

Tonight I tried to sleep on my left side instead of my back (partly because I ate something spicier than I should have had for dinner and didn't want to experience any nighttime acid reflux) and had the same situation occur again. This time I turned to my back and when I first tried to take a deep breath I felt a sharp pain in the area to the left of my sternum (that's the only time I felt it).

Are all these signs of anxiety and nothing more serious?

Hi,

Those symptoms sound like there is nothing to worry about at all. It is probably down to anxiety or it may just be a muscular pain of sorts. I wouldn't worry about it!

Thread Information