Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just started taking Cipralex 5mg for the first time

Just started taking Cipralex 5mg for the first time

Hi guys,

I've been spending a few days browsing these forums and reading everyone's messages. I was prescribed Cipralex 5mg on Friday but had to wait until today to get the prescription filled as it needed to be ordered in. I don't suffer panic attacks per se but constant worry (where I wake up 1-2 times a night nauseous and panicked about nothing in particular) and social anxiety (stemming from bad bullying in school)

It's taken me an hour and quite a bit of teariness to steel myself to take one. But I finally just did. I'm mostly worried about side-effects as I'm emetephobic and also I work in a restaurant so long hours having to deal with the normal stresses of work as well as any possible side-effects.

Any advice anybody can give me? I've stocked up on ginger ale (4 for £1.50 in Tesco, can't beat it) crackers and bananas but it's mostly the thought of missing work that is scaring me as I'm on a zero hours contract and can't afford to miss shifts.

I've seen how supportive everyone has been on here and I really need people who have been there, done that. My boyfriend is wonderful but he's never had to cope with mental illness.

Re: Just started taking Cipralex 5mg for the first time

Hey, welcome to the club

5 mg really isn't a super high dose, so you'll probably be just fine.

I have massive panic attacks when I feel like I'm going to be sick to my stomach, so I was worried about the nausea too. I did get a bit nauseous when I started out on 10 mg of lexapro, but it was really just a little uncomfortable as opposed to that awful, impending feeling that you're going to throw up.

I doubt you'll miss any work, and after a few weeks you'll be right as rain. Hopefully it helps you with your anxiety, I know it has helped me.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
    Hey, welcome to the club

5 mg really isn't a super high dose, so you'll probably be just fine.

I have massive panic attacks when I feel like I'm going to be sick to my stomach, so I was worried about the nausea too. I did get a bit nauseous when I started out on 10 mg of lexapro, but it was really just a little uncomfortable as opposed to that awful, impending feeling that you're going to throw up.

I doubt you'll miss any work, and after a few weeks you'll be right as rain. Hopefully it helps you with your anxiety, I know it has helped me.
    Hi Poppy, thanks so much! Have you found it's worked well for you? I know it's horrible...my biggest fear is being sick in public!

Thanks very much for the reassurance, only about 4 and a half hours in but so far so good. Just took some paracetamol (Tylenol) for my headache and I definitely have a feeling that everything's a bit in soft focus and it takes me slightly longer than normal to focus on things. I do feel noticeably more chilled but that could just be a placebo effect, I felt really sick briefly earlier but that could have just been nerves. once I'd settled myself with a peppermint tea and some TV I forgot all about it!

Going to see how I get on this evening and take it from there. I've made my manager aware I'm taking new drugs and explained I would have done it during my days off if I'd been able to get it on Friday.

I mean, when I started taking it I was hoping for some kind of awesome miracle that would instantly make everything better. It wasn't that.

BUT it has helped me quite a bit and I feel gives me a bit more solid footing to face challenges. For example, the other day I got quite upset and it was a definite moment where in the past I would have self harmed. I didn't even have the urge - I just cried it out and moved on.

I also went through a really stressful period around November and I think the Lexapro helped keep me from slipping into a nasty depression or having multiple panic attacks. I wasn't walking on sunshine, I was definitely still stressed, but it felt a bit more manageable, somehow.

I'm learning better how to cope with certain things; some days are better than others, but I'm honestly glad I took this. The only downside I can think of is coming off the medication as I'm sure someday I will and I'm not really looking forward to the side effects on the way down.

Question Re: Just started taking Cipralex 5mg for the first time

I mean, when I started taking it I was hoping for some kind of awesome miracle that would instantly make everything better. It wasn't that.

BUT it has helped me quite a bit and I feel gives me a bit more solid footing to face challenges. For example, the other day I got quite upset and it was a definite moment where in the past I would have self harmed. I didn't even have the urge - I just cried it out and moved on.

I also went through a really stressful period around November and I think the Lexapro helped keep me from slipping into a nasty depression or having multiple panic attacks. I wasn't walking on sunshine, I was definitely still stressed, but it felt a bit more manageable, somehow.

I'm learning better how to cope with certain things; some days are better than others, but I'm honestly glad I took this. The only downside I can think of is coming off the medication as I'm sure someday I will and I'm not really looking forward to the side effects on the way down.
    I'm so glad you were able to cope. I've occasionally had moments where I've wanted to bite or hit myself because I've just hated myself so much after a small disagreement or something mildly to moderately unpleasant happening. It hasn't happened in a long time but it makes me hopeful that this medication might help this.

Oh gosh I know eventually I will want to have a family so I will have to come off it for that. Long time in the future yet though! Try not to worry as long as you do it under the supervision of your doctor and don't go cold turkey you should be fine.

Just took my second pill there at 11am. A little bit earlier than yesterday but I need to be taking it at that time because a lot of my shifts begin about midday. I just had a bit of on and off mild nausea last night but it quickly subsided with a drink of water or some dry crackers. Had a really weird moment where I fell asleep, woke up 2 hours later, seriously considering getting a centaur as a pet. I'm a bit worried any s/e's will get worse today but I shall keep you posted. I asked for the day off just incase, I'm wondering whether I'm safe to return to work tomorrow? I know some s/e's can pop up on day 3 or later!!

Quote Originally Posted by sazarrama View Post
    I'm so glad you were able to cope. I've occasionally had moments where I've wanted to bite or hit myself because I've just hated myself so much after a small disagreement or something mildly to moderately unpleasant happening. It hasn't happened in a long time but it makes me hopeful that this medication might help this.

Oh gosh I know eventually I will want to have a family so I will have to come off it for that. Long time in the future yet though! Try not to worry as long as you do it under the supervision of your doctor and don't go cold turkey you should be fine.

Just took my second pill there at 11am. A little bit earlier than yesterday but I need to be taking it at that time because a lot of my shifts begin about midday. I just had a bit of on and off mild nausea last night but it quickly subsided with a drink of water or some dry crackers. Had a really weird moment where I fell asleep, woke up 2 hours later, seriously considering getting a centaur as a pet. I'm a bit worried any s/e's will get worse today but I shall keep you posted. I asked for the day off just incase, I'm wondering whether I'm safe to return to work tomorrow? I know some s/e's can pop up on day 3 or later!!
    I think you'll be fine. Is there any way you can go into work and let your manager know you're still adjusting to the medicine and may need extra breaks or to leave?

I get vivid dreams with lexapro too! They're not nightmares, thankfully, and they can actually be kind of cool at times - like watching a movie. The only time it's ever been an issue is if I have to question if something happened or if I dreamed it - but the dreams are usually so far fetched, it's not hard to tell.

I think you'll be fine. Is there any way you can go into work and let your manager know you're still adjusting to the medicine and may need extra breaks or to leave?

I get vivid dreams with lexapro too! They're not nightmares, thankfully, and they can actually be kind of cool at times - like watching a movie. The only time it's ever been an issue is if I have to question if something happened or if I dreamed it - but the dreams are usually so far fetched, it's not hard to tell.
    Yep they know all about it. I've got the day off again on Thursday anyway so even if it is a bit rough for whatever reason I'll have another day to recover. Thanks for the reassurance anyway as I can't afford to miss more work (literally )

Haha it's not a terrible side effect to say the least! I wouldn't mind if they continued.

Hi guys

So I'm five weeks in tomorrow and wanted to post a wee update. The side effects haven't been too bad just spots of nausea and headaches (dealt with those with over the counter acetaminophen) plus the odd strange dream pr two. However the difference it has made so far in terms of my sleep quality and fatigue levels has been huge.

So everything was pretty dandy. I'd had a few minor anxiety attacks but they were over within 20 minutes and I was able to get on with my day. Today however I took an anxiety attack out of nowhere that lasted about an hour. While I'm very lucky my manager understands my anxiety and inmediately got me cover and sent me home I also can't be missing too many work hours!

I've read that this is the medication "peaking" and I should feel better after 6-8 weeks (I have a follow up.doctors appointment in 2 weeks time) so should this be anything to be concerned about? Its the first time I've had a panic attack that bad in my life!!

Quote Originally Posted by sazarrama View Post
    I've read that this is the medication "peaking" and I should feel better after 6-8 weeks (I have a follow up.doctors appointment in 2 weeks time) so should this be anything to be concerned about? Its the first time I've had a panic attack that bad in my life!!
    Are you still on only 5mg, or was the dose increased to the usual minimum 10mg? If the latter, how long have you been taking 10mg?

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Are you still on only 5mg, or was the dose increased to the usual minimum 10mg? If the latter, how long have you been taking 10mg?
    Hi thanks for the reply. No I'm still on the 5mg so it was a bit of a shock to say the least!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information