Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: CBT therapy for driving problems - my diary

CBT therapy for driving problems - my diary

This is a follow on from my previous post at Going private for CBT. Any advice?

I am starting a new one as that was already 5 pages long and was basically about whether I should go for CBT again or not.

The quick summary is that I am going back to CBT to help with my anxiety whilst driving and in particular in road works etc.

Well today I had the first session.

It was a long round trip as I had to drive from Luton to Cambridge (1 hour 15 mins) and then back again and this was on top of the 1.5 hours I do as a round trip to work anyway.

I knew there were some roadworks on the A505 but that was the quickest route so I set off that way but when I came to the roundabout and looked down on the A505 it was a contra flow and I just wasn't ready to face that.:(

Well I got there in the end via some horrid narrow back roads and we had a lovely chat about things. I wish I had made notes as I have forgotten some of it but basically she thinks that I have still have the underlying anxiety hanging around from years of suffering with that and panic attacks and it was now mainly focused on driving issues.

She reinforced what I already know and that is about facing this head on and challlenging it and my thoughts. She said that although I am coping well with the driving and have my own distraction techniques, I am still allowing the anxiety to sit waiting to pounce on me when it can!

I need to get angry with it and tell it to "come on and do its worse" and also talk to myself and reassure me that I am fine and nothing will hurt me and I won't lose control and crash and die!

She said she wants me to practice starting off with small steps with low anxiety - i.e. drive up a road that I don't like but one that I can still pull off quite easily if I need to. She advised me not to go back to work via the contraflow cos that was too much too soon and she wanted me to build up the confidence slowly and in measured steps.

When I go back next Friday she is going to draw up a plan of action for me and basically I have to go and do it! Well I am not going to get better sat on the settee telling myself I am fine am I?

She also said that it will be hard work and it will take time to do it but it can be done. She reminded me of how terrified I used to be of supermarkets but now I do it without a second thought and what used to scare me now doesn't. So I have to believe that I can overcome this as well in the same way.

So that was day 1 of CBT and I look forward to next week too.

Thanks for reading and I hope that some of this can help you too as it is all about changing thoughts at the end of the day. Face that fear as they say and don't let it beat you.

Nicola

I think the most important bit here was recalling how you beat the fear of supermarkets.

So you can do this.

You will do this.

Ray xxx

Oh Nic well done. Sounds like you dealt brilliantly with what was potentially a nightmare situation. CBT really helped me deal with my anxiety issues - if i was rich i'd still have a session a week - and I hope that it helps you too.
    Bring on next week...
    Henri x

Hi Nic,

Great new's to hear you have started your CBT

Its hard work changing the way we think, as you know with the supermarket, IT CAN BE DONE.

I wish you luck Nic, I know it will work.

Look forward to reading all about it [^]

TAKE CARE

Thinking of you

LOVE JILLXXX

Hey Nic,

Good news about starting CBT. Its going to be hard work, but so totally worth it! You can do this!!

I also look forward to hearing all about it! Especially as driving is one of my fears at the moment. I look forward to some tips!!

Take care,

tracy x x

Every time you avoid your fears they become stronger,every time you face your fears they become weaker.

Thanks for the quick replies.

I overcame the supermarkets with perseverance and doing it over and over and over.

Although this is more scarey for me cos I am in control of a car I have to reassure myself that I can do it and I am prepared to work at it to achieve this.

So I will work at it and I will overcome this.

Nicola

I'm starting CBT for the first time this Friday (13th, just as well I'm not superstitious!!) So I'm always interested to hear about other people's experiences.

I think it's great that you overcame your issues with supermarkets and the driving thing is a problem for so many of us. I don't like to drive out of my comfort zones but forced myself to go to a different town yesterday to meet my husband for lunch. I felt so chuffed when I arrived and saw my hubby's face (he wasn't sure I would make it).

I wish this therapy was cheaper, I can't help but feel guilty for spending so much money on it but I've never asked for help before. I just have to get on with it, I guess....

Wishing you luck with your therapy and hopefully it will move you in the direction you need to go in.....take care

Jem xxx

Its great that you are finally having this help Nic.

It seems its been in the planning stages for so long.

I really hope this is the final push that gets rid of your fear for the driving and look forward to your updates

Every best wish for it

Love

Meg xxx

good luck with this nic, im sure you'll get there in the end .. tcx andrew

Jem - well done on what you achieved yesterday ! The CBT is done on my partner's private health care but what she charges is £180 for the first session and then £90 per session thereafter so it is certainly not cheap!

Meg - Thanks. I know you are rooting for me to conquer this blooming driving problem once and for all.

Andrew - thanks. I am determined to give it my best.

Nicola

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information