Thread: Panic attacks during exercise

Panic attacks during exercise

Hello, I used to work out and practice a lot of physical exercise, but since a friend of mine died of a heart attack I started to be afraid of doing any kind of exercise, and that makes me very sad.
    I suffer from panic attacks for 5 years, I take zoloft (50mg) and valium (5mg) for depression and panic attacks, but I can not get rid of this fear ...

To be specific, I'm afraid of exercising and having a panic attack that raises my heart rate and blood pressure too much and I die suddenly, I already did hypnosis to try to beat it, but it did not work very well ...

Has anyone here been through this?

Fear of having a heart attack or heart arrest

Hello, I used to work out and practice a lot of physical exercise, but since a friend of mine died of a heart attack I started to be afraid of doing any kind of exercise, and that makes me very sad.
    I suffer from panic attacks for 5 years, I take zoloft (50mg) and valium (5mg) for depression and panic attacks, but I can not get rid of this fear ...

To be specific, I'm afraid of exercising and having a panic attack that raises my heart rate and blood pressure too much and I die suddenly, I already did hypnosis to try to beat it, but it did not work very well ...

Has anyone here been through this?

Re: Panic attacks during exercise

Unless you have a history of heart problems, I would continue allowing your heart to beat itself up a healthy frenzy, the heart generally enjoys being elevated with physical activity. I would begin with one work out a week and see how you feel, even if you have a bad heart confirmed by a professional, exercise is still important, avoiding it will do you more harm than good, especially if your heart is not about to fail on you. I am very sorry you friend had a heart attack, that's very upsetting to have weighing on your mind but I would suggest you explore lightly and see how you feel, and if you have not, get the necessary check ups and tests to tell you if your heart is in a bad state or not. I go through worries about my heart also, but I still try to workout a few times a week and get cardio, despite my fears, my heart beats weird sometimes but I'm still here and exercise makes me healthier than I would be otherwise.
    ''...an utter depression of soul which I can compare to no earthly sensation more properly than to the after-dream of the reveller upon opium - the bitter lapse into everyday life, the hideous dropping off of the veil. There was an iciness, a sinking, a sickening of the heart, an unredeemed dreariness of thought which no goading of the imagination could torture into aught of the sublime.''

A lot of people panic during exercise because the increased heart rate, the sweatiness and the shortness of breath manifest themselves during a panic attack, so your mind perceives said sensations as panic instead of 'safe' exercise. Just keep at it. I exercise 5 days a week, and I don't stop when I panic... Just keep doing it

This is good advice. I've put on some weight recently and i sometimes feel panicky when i start exercising, but my doctor says my heart is healthy and that i need to exercise at least three times a week. I've join a gym and I plan on going for a running Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. I hope i can keep up. It's really hard for me to be consistent at anything right now; especially since my meds make me sleepy ....

Re: Fear of having a heart attack or heart arrest

I have fears over my heart too. I get weird spasms and can't breath. I guess try not to think about it. It sounds like anxiety rather than a condition. With me I'm actually getting symotoms. It's terrifying.

Having survived a heart attack I can assure you that if you can sit at your computer and type you're not having one.
    Just carry on with life as normal and try not to worry about it.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

I used to have exactly the same fear of exercise after I experienced prolonged tachycardia after exertion that put me in hospital. The real reason was that had just recovered from a nasty viral infection and I was under a huge amount of stress at the time, but my brain made the connection with exercise.

It took me a few years to get my head around it, but eventually I just forced myself to exercise every day until I just got used to it again.

Exercise in itself won't cause a heart attack unless you already have a heart condition, and NOT exercising is the best way to develop a heart condition!

The solution to your fear is within your own thought patterns. I started exercising slowly and built up the intensity over several months and said to myself the whole time 'this is good for me, this will make my heart stronger'. And it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethansmom View Post
    This is good advice. I've put on some weight recently and i sometimes feel panicky when i start exercising, but my doctor says my heart is healthy and that i need to exercise at least three times a week. I've join a gym and I plan on going for a running Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. I hope i can keep up. It's really hard for me to be consistent at anything right now; especially since my meds make me sleepy ....
    You don't really need to go running or even go to the gym just yet. I started off with brisk walking every morning. This was 20-30 minutes at a walking pace that allowed me to feel a bit of sweat and shortness of breath. It did wonders.
    Last edited by ankietyjoe; 07-08-18 at 10:18.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

Thread Information