Thread: Skin biopsy, really worried.

Skin biopsy, really worried.

I'm about to have a skin biopsy, and I'm scared.

In September last year, I developed what initially looked like some form of contact dermatitis but quickly progressed into whole-body eczema, at which point I saw a dermatologist. He prescribed an emollient and a steroid cream, and the skin problems cleared up for a couple of weeks and then came back, just in time for the follow-up appointment with the same doctor.

On the second appointment, in early November, he said "might require a biopsy, probably sometime after christmas", but didn't give any further details. I haven't had another appointment since. I haven't needed one - I carried on using the cream, and my skin cleared up again. The only residual issue is having some slightly thin and over-sensitive skin on my feet.

I've now had a letter from the hospital telling me to report for "skin surgery" (that was *all* the detail on the letter) at the start of next week. After spending over an hour on the phone to various people at the dermatology department, I've managed to establish the following:

- Yes, this is for the very vaguely-specified biopsy last mentioned in the first week of November.
    - Yes, it is still relevant. and I still need to have it done.
    - No, they can't tell me which body part they intend to operate on or how much damage they need to do.
    - No, my having an ongoing phobia of needles won't be a problem, because "it really isn't anything to worry about" and "the nurse will hold your hand".

I'm not worried about the results (almost certainly nothing, given that the eczema they are trying to investigate isn't currently there to be investigated), but I wish I could stop worrying about the procedure itself.

I'm worried about the anaesthetic needle.
    I'm worried about how much it will hurt afterwards.
    I'm worried in case they do it somewhere that will make it difficult to walk, to drive to work or to do my job, because then I will have to handle the flak for not arranging things in advance.
    I'm worried about not knowing what they're going to actually *do*.

I know I'm being stupid about this, but I wish I could stop worrying.

I want a hug. :o(

Re: Skin biopsy, really worried.

Hey, just wondering how everything went for you? Worrying to the degree that you were worrying is an awful thing to experience. I hope it all went well. X

Thread Information