Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: NMP Book Club: The first rule of Book Club...

Re: NMP Book Club: The first rule of Book Club...

Quote Originally Posted by jacsta View Post
    I vote for an nmp meet in Amsterdam
    Hell yes!

If the person you are talking to does not appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear. Winnie-the-pooh

Up ahead they's a thousan' lives we might live, but when it comes it'll on'y be one. Ma Joad

I only manage to read chapter 1, its is an interesting read!, I have barely started to read chapter 2. I very much a very slow reader. all depends on the book, if its one can not put down. I know I wont be finished it by next week, I'll do my best.

sorry can not comment on the book, I would have to have it in front of me, and to read a bit of it, to be able to give a comment.

Hi
    I am going to be difficult and answer in stages if that is ok with everyone.

Do you think that the relationship between Hazel and Augustus is made stronger due to their illnesses? If so, why?

Think I maybe in conflict with some of the views expressed so far.

I feel that the relationship between Hazel and Augustus is based mainly on a common sense of humour, a way of seeing the world and shared hopes and aspirations. Issac and others mentioned in the book also suffer but there is no connection there.

Initially the attraction was based on looks, ie Augustus is hot and Hazel resembles his previous girlfriend. But thereafter it is their mental connection that cements the relationship.

The illness does play a part as well. Their shared connection with The Imperial Affliction is also a huge bonding tool. They both relate to the book in a big way, and as this is related to their illness it could be said that the shared illness makes their relationship stronger.

Like everything else I feel that the illness is a contributitory factor but is only part of the attraction. To attribute the illness as the sole reason for their relationship is something that Hazel and Augustus would fight against. They are after all more than their illness and they are determined not to allow their illness define who they are as people.

---------- Post added at 09:11 ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 ----------

Topic 2
    Hazel says: “I'm a grenade and at some point I'm going to blow up and I would like to minimize the casualties, okay?”. Is she right to think this way?
    I don’t think that it is a case of being right or wrong. It is an inevitable way of thinking and one that I am sure that we can relate to as well. To allow people to get close is to increase the guilt that Hazel already feels. She is fully aware of how much her illness has impacted on those around her.

I wonder as well if she worries that Augustus is a serial dater of dying women and that he is with her due to pity. I do love it when she tells Issac that it wasn’t fair what he did to Monica. Again I feel that this is a deep down fear that many of us share.

If she was selfish enough to want to “use” Augustus to make her feel better in the short term I don’t think that I would have connected with her the way I have.

---------- Post added at 09:12 ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 ----------

Topic 3
    We're only half way through, but the book has already moved through many emotional states. What emotions has the book stirred in you so far, and why?

The love story aspect of it doesn’t appeal to me as much as the joy of watching their verbal interactions. They have connected on an emotional level but also on an intellectual level and I love their sense of humour.

There is a poignant quality to their relationship which is sweet but also very mature at the same time. Their physical relationship is very teenagy whereas their intellectual connection is much older than their years.

I have found the book to contain many CBT rules for life which I must try to put into practice, ie living the best day possible.

(please forgive my sloppy quotations, one of the disadvantages of reading the book on a kindle rather than a real paper copy.)
    Last edited by Elen; 25-07-14 at 08:44. Reason: add paragraphs

I've read the fault in our stars and I really enjoyed it. I'm not very good at critically analysing text though so won't be very good at explaining why I liked it so much! I think it's mainly the fact that despite our situations and the difficulties we go through, despite physical and mental suffering, loss of friends and family, life carries on and people are still people. Everyone feels the same emotions and has aspirations for their life, and everyone can find laughter when there is nothing else going right. A bad situation is only as bad as you perceive it and life is unfair but that doesn't mean that small moments can't make everything worth it. If you look for the worst, the worst will find you quickly. But if you look for the best, then you'll find a way to cope and live and love and have hope. I ramble a lot haha but this book had quite an effect on me!

Hi Kimberley
    I think that is a lovely summary of my thoughts as I was reading.

Thanks so much to everyone who got involved with commenting and sharing their thoughts; really appreciate you taking time out of your day to do so

So... Hopefully you will be almost finished by now and we can look towards the final discussion which - as I mentioned before - we are hoping to do 'live' as a group. I just need to know:

- What day / time works best for everyone? I am very flexible at the moment, but I know we have a few international readers, so I am guessing either late evening or weekend will be best? Please reply with which days (within the next week) you prefer and any particular time of day (morning / afternoon / evening / late night etc) that is most ideal for you.

- Where would people prefer to chat? The chat room here would unfortunately exclude anyone who uses a tablet / device other than a PC, so what about Skype (only for text typing)? I'm happy to coordinate a large group conversation on there, as long as everyone is comfortable with that (you can of course create a random email / Skype account just for Book Club, if you would rather not give out your main details).

- If Skype is ok, please reply with your username, so I can add you (or send me a private message, if you would prefer).

Let me know guys and I shall arrange

If the person you are talking to does not appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear. Winnie-the-pooh

Up ahead they's a thousan' lives we might live, but when it comes it'll on'y be one. Ma Joad

I still think its lovely that reading is so personal....it allows someone to identify with a character or a story in such a way. I find it therapeutic as I can escape to another world, and live something through a characters eyes.

I still need to reread the last part of the book in prep for the discussion but am on nights again for a few shifts. I live discussion would be cool...I'm free any evening after 20.45 (UK) time...or different days depending on the week (this week is Thursday, Friday, and Saturday afternoon)

Look forward to the next discussion topics

Hi again guys... So a few of you have now given me your Skype details - thanks for that... I just need to know when everyone is available to meet up for the group discussion?

I can do any day this week (at virtually any time) other than Saturday.

Thanks!

Anytime is good for me x

My availability is really limited due to work and time zone difference, so don't worry about me when planning. Hope you guys enjoy

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information