Thread: How to spot a relapse? Is this one

How to spot a relapse? Is this one

Hi everyone, hope you are enjoying the weather.

I'm wondering for folks with depression who've relapsed, what the warning signs/triggers were of yours coming back?

About 3 weeks ago I asked a girl out and was knocked back. I've been turned down before (who hasn't? aside you gorgeous people! ) and after a day or so I've gotten over it and moved on.

This time for the past 3 weeks I've been pretty much floating, feeling anxious again, no appetite aside really unhealthy stuff like ice cream, not sleeping, stomach doing loops, irritable and snappy, prefer being by myself and drinking. This sounds like classic depression but I'm not sure if its just being on a downer from the girl, but 3 weeks feels an awful long time

I'm on a waiting list for CBT so wasn't sure what the point of going to the doctor was as they'll probably just refer, I'm currently medication-less since a month ago (by choice as I wanted to cope without them)

C x

Re: How to spot a relapse? Is this one

I don't know whether you can call this a relapse, some us think we are just ongoing most of the time with an occasional good day/good week/good month.
    I am not saying you can not recover, because people do, but if the problems that caused the Anxiety and Depression are still hanging around or there are more problems arising, it will manifest again. Although the weather has been nice, it is playing havoc with a lot of us Anxiety sufferers. What we can do, is do our best and hope that everything will work out for us and we can have some happiness.

Re: How to spot a relapse? Is this one

Carnation's right, we need to do the footwork towards the best mental health we can have, all things considered, especially when we don't feel like it. Have you considered that what you are feeling may be withdrawal symptoms from discontinuing the meds? It's pretty typical to have some, especially in the early weeks. Try to remember this, and don't buy into them too much, they will pass! ... And remember, depression or anxiety and drinking don't mix! Whatever problems you may have, you can be guaranteed that alcohol will make them worse Another possibility is that you are using alcohol as a substitute for other drugs, simply because it is what you have to hand. Have you used "social" or other drugs much in past to change how you feel? This can mean that you are attempting to self-medicate where your brain needs help. You wouldn't try to perform surgery on yourself, right? You'd go with a professional approach! Good luck with the CBT, that's one option. There are all kinds, don't give up!

I think it's prudent to at least make your doctor aware of what is happening. My doc is always reminding me that he wants to make his own conclusions, but needs me to come in and tell him what's going on. Your doctor may reassure you that you are experiencing temporary withdrawal symptoms that you can ride out successfully, or may feel that it's time to re-consider that your brain may need a chemical boost after all. Or other ideas you haven't discussed yet may come to mind. Give yourself a real break from your misery and don't risk getting worse. xx

Thread Information